Catching peacock bass & toman

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Predict
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Bait fishing, Lure fishing, Fly fishing, Offshore fishing, Crabbing & Prawning

Catching peacock bass & toman

Post by Predict »

Hi people, I have some question about fishing peacock bass & toman.
Which brand of hook is most suitable for catching peacock bass? (Baiting)
Which brand of hook is most suitable for catching toman? (Baiting)
Which size of hook is most suitable for catching medium & large size peacock bass? (Baiting)
Which size of hook is most suitable for catching medium & large size toman? (Baiting)

What kind of lure is most suitable for catching peacock bass? (Luring)
What kind of lure is most suitable for catching toman? (Luring)
Is fly suitable to catch toman? (Fly fishing)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Catching peacock bass & toman

Post by Peace »

Brand of hook doesn't necessary dictates its effectiveness in catching fish, the right type and quality of hook is what you should be look at, which can exists across different brands. For peacock bass, I have good experience with using circle hooks and is more suitable if you intend to release the fish. Otherwise, normal octopus or live baiting hook will do depending on what kind of bait you want to use. Size 1/0 to 2/0 is suitable for medium sized peacock bass and tomans, and you can go as big as 5/0 to 8/0 for large giant snakeheads. It is subjected to the type and size of bait you're using too.

For lures, peacock bass will take pretty much any type of lures but I always have good results with using jerkbaits. For toman, especially the larger ones, surface lures tend to be better. ie. surface cruisers and poppers. I'm not sure about flies though.

Predict
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Bait fishing, Lure fishing, Fly fishing, Offshore fishing, Crabbing & Prawning

Re: Catching peacock bass & toman

Post by Predict »

Well, thanks for all the info! Will follow these instructions (: be prepared to see my cr soon! Hahahs!!! :D