Question on Bumpnose Trevally aka Sagai.

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

venomrat
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Question on Bumpnose Trevally aka Sagai.

Post by venomrat »

Hi,

I managed to land a couple of small size Sagai at Bedok Jetty last Wednesday. :)

They were caught using sabiki jig. I think they were size 4 jig used for tamban,

My question would be is there any special technique or Jig size if I want to get larger sizes.

Will the bigger one attack larger sabiki jigs with larger hooks?

Any retrieve technique that work better for the pros here?

Any tip would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Re: Question on Bumpnose Trevally aka Sagai.

Post by Vidic »

Hi venomrat, the big ones will not attack one with large hooks, they are actually attracted on the feathers/fish skin attached to your sabiki hooks. You could try fishing in Southern Island, theres plenty of large Sagais over there.
Hook size is dependable, larger hooks do get you larger fishes but less on smallies. It is stronger and allows you to withstand the dash of bigger fish. Smaller hooks allows you to get both small and big, but it is brittle and you would have a tougher time to "set hook" on bigger fish.
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

congratz venomrat

vidic
is it possible to request you bring us to southern island for the bigger sagais? i think most of us who are interested in targeting them would be interested to join you too :D
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

venomrat
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by venomrat »

Thanks Vidic. :)

Do you use sabiki too?

What size would you recommend?

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

venomrat, i'm not a fan of sabikis, the size you are using is fine for bedok jetty, just pray that a bigger one will take your hook. Should a big one take your sabiki, be prepared :D

Theres a thread mention by Peace on jigging, check it out ! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3482
You could hire fishing charter by Henry Chan, he takes ppl out for light jigging in the Southern waters. The only thing that his booking is always full and could stretch to up to a year for good tides !
Check out the pics on the website too.
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

venomrat
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by venomrat »

Thanks Vidic.

DMCY
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Any type

Post by DMCY »

Vidic wrote:venomrat, i'm not a fan of sabikis, the size you are using is fine for bedok jetty, just pray that a bigger one will take your hook. Should a big one take your sabiki, be prepared :D

Theres a thread mention by Peace on jigging, check it out ! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3482
You could hire fishing charter by Henry Chan, he takes ppl out for light jigging in the Southern waters. The only thing that his booking is always full and could stretch to up to a year for good tides !
Check out the pics on the website too.
Some sabiki hooks are very weak. Once, i hook up a fish that was probably a 2 kg grouper but lost the fish :( and the hook turned from j shape into like a boomerang shape as the hook could not withstand the weight of the fish.