What reel to match with salty chief?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

What reel to match with salty chief?

Post by deathrow »

Hi everyone

Just wondering what reel is a good match up up with salty chief 10-20 pounds? Is the new Okuma RTX Series Good? and what type of lines best match??
The previous owner who gave me say the rod is good to play deep sea too is it true as he tried it at Southern China Sea Night?? I need some insight for this rod and what setup best for it Especially playing with GT or bigger fish( thinking of going damai pond). Would really appreciate it as i am still learning.

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Re: What reel to match with salty chief?

Post by ilurbtambans »

i have the 6ft 10-20lbs spinning version of it, overall the rod is rather stiff. i have not seen or used the okuma rtx before, but i have paired my rod with slade 1000fb 15lbs braid and sienna 2500 with 15lbs braid too. i have heard of ppl using it to do jigging, but the butt of the rod is kinda short, so you are going to use more wrist and arm power . but other than that the rod feels good and have caught several fish with it. Using it at damai pond should not be a problem!
heres a pic of me catching a grouper abt 2kg with salty chief paired with slade 1000fb 15lbs braid
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/22/sy9ydabe.jpg

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

As tamban said, it's one of the stiffer rods out there giving it lots of power in fighting a fish. It does make a crappy baiting rod though. This rod is capable of handling big fishes despite the 10-20lbs rating, you will not have problems using it in Damai Pond. I don't have experience with the Okuma rod, but you can look into reels with 3-5kg drag to pair with it.

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by deathrow »

Thanks tamban and peace i will look into it :)
Okuma rtx reels just came out i believe i saw a few kayak fishermen using it.
Nice grouper tamban :)
Is it advisable to use this rod for GT?
I will look into the reels with that amount of drag then :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Your Salty Chief won't have a problem with the fighting GTs. Also when it comes to pond fishing, the choice of tackle power can vary quite a bit across visiting anglers. There will be anglers who like to use underpowered rods to test the limits of the tackle and to prolong the thrill of fight. Then on the other extreme end is those who just want to land the fish in the most secure tackles.

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by deathrow »

Thanks peace i will look out for those tackle :)