First time fishing

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

OneNOnly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

First time fishing

Post by OneNOnly »

Hi guys, i'm planning a fishing trip to bedok jetty with my friends to 'try our luck'. The only fishing experience I had was going out with my family to some pay ponds, jetties and once to a kelong. However, as I recall, most of the time we ended up with nothing. Perhaps you guys could share some advice :sweatdrop:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Re: First time fishing

Post by ilurbtambans »

Hi OneNOnly! welcome to HLF, bedok jetty has lots of baitfish called tambans, tho small they are nevertheless fun. you can take this opportunity to start small like how i did 4 years ago, i frequented bedok jetty for the tambans and always had a sunburn! ><
In order to catch tambans you will be needing the sabiki rig. Here is a guide made by Peace http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/gu ... index2.htm. It has lots of information inside, and you have any doubts and questions always ask the the ah laus fishing there or the owners of the tackleshop, i'm sure they will be happy to help you. cheers!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yes, like ilurbtamban said tamban fishing will be part of Bedok Jetty fishing for most of the regulars there. They're essentially baits for catching larger fish and also for many anglers to keep themselves occupied. Chances of landing some thing decent is probably lower than that of commercial ponds or Kelong you've been to. However, some of the largest local shore catches are landed from Bedok Jetty. ;)

OneNOnly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by OneNOnly »

Alright, cool. Thanks guys for the information. Just wondering, do u any of you know of any tackle shops around Tampines? And which shops would u recommend? hahahaha! thanks in advance :)

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Burpp »

hey there,
Go Bedok Jetty and jig for tamban its' fun! I started fishing there as well, jigging for tamban on weekend morning. You can go to Changi Village to purchase your fishing gear, They do sell some daiwa fishing gear at less than $50, comes with a rod and reel. For the sabiki rig, go to bedok jetty and purchase from those oldman. They are selling the rig at $1.50 per set. Timming wise, 7am to 10am is the best timming to jig from tamban. or evening time around 4-7pm. Have fun.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

For tackle shops close to you, you can check out the directory. If you want the closest to Bedok Jetty, I believe it's Fishing Buddy's Marine Parade branch. If you got the time and want to shop, Changi Village or Beach road is a good place to a wide variety of tackles. Every tackle shop has sort of their own niche, some focus more on specific fishing interest, others have good stocks for high end or budget tackles. It all depends on your needs. ;)

OneNOnly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by OneNOnly »

cool! thanks..looks like i'll be making a trip to changi village soon..hahahaha

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Burpp »

Alternatively you can look for a cheap 2nd hand Set.

OneNOnly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by OneNOnly »

Burpp wrote:Alternatively you can look for a cheap 2nd hand Set.
hahaha..i forgot to mention, i already have my own fishing gear.. i need to restock on fishing weights though ._.

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Burpp »

For sabiki use those ultra small wt will do. Anyway i will be heading to BJT tmr morning to jig some tamban to feed cat! OPS!

OneNOnly
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by OneNOnly »

oh..one more thing before i forget..does different knots have a dramatic affect when fishing? Cause the only one i know is the clinch knot..should i learn more?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Each knot has different knot strength and can vary on the type of line used. If you're just starting out, just stick to one knot and learn it well. Lubricate the knot before tightening so that you don't damage the line from friction. Take time on your knots as it's usually the weakest link in the setup, do it proper. :)

So yes, clinch knot will do you just fine. I recommend trying Palomar knot too.