Accessible fishing spots in Singapore?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

jmo
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Beginner, really loves fishing but had little chances to fish as I still know very little.

Accessible fishing spots in Singapore?

Post by jmo »

Hi Everyone!

Would really love to get some advice on what are the more accessible fishing spots in Singapore. I loved fishing when I was a kid, and have recently inherited some of my uncle's fishing gear as he has stopped fishing. However, the last time I really went fishing was more than 10 years ago.

My mom is a little concerned about a girl going fishing alone in remote/quiet places, and I don't want to freak her out. However, I do want to spend a day fishing every now and then. Are there places in Singapore where I can fish legally, that are easier to access by public transport? I remember the places I used to go fishing with my family were only accessible by car, and I do not drive.

I enjoy tamban jigging and shore fishing, and have some experience fighting medium-sized fish on a light tackle.

Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Re: Accessible fishing spots in Singapore?

Post by Vidic »

Hi jmo, nice to meet you and welcome to Handline Fishing.

There are couple of popular spots, here's a few general fishing places
East, there would be Bedok jetty, Changi End/Beach, Changi Broadwalk.
West, You could try west coast park
North, Woodlands jetty, Sembawang jetty, punggol.

Generally, most of these place have people around fishing all day long. I would suggest to access somewhere near your place, otherwise you would spend most of the time traveling. :)
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

jmo
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Beginner, really loves fishing but had little chances to fish as I still know very little.

Post by jmo »

Thank you so much for the suggestions Vidic. :)

I heard that Bedok Jetty is a good place for tamban jigging, is that true? What is a good time to get there?

Do you know of any other places in the South that are legal fishing spots? I've heard someone mention Marina South Pier, but I checked and realized it's a ferry terminal of sorts, so that place is a no-go right? Is it legal to fish near or at the Marina Barrage?

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

beside the marina south pier I have seen people fishing at the breakers, you could give it a shot! but be prepared to lose some sinkers

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

For Bedok jetty tamban jigging, You could try to reach as early as 6am till 11am and also in the evening. Of course tide do matters.

For fishing at marina south pier, generally fishing there are fishing in break waters that requires you to cast to a long distance. You would need to have a long rod that will not be easy to handle.

It's a no-go for marina barrage !

I would suggest Bedok jetty!
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

jmo
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by jmo »

Thank you ilurbtambans and Vidic for your advice! Can't wait to try out the new spots you've suggested, and Bedok Jetty does indeed sound like the best place for me now.

Can't wait to go fishing again, thank you so much!