Name of fish

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: SHore Fishing

Re: Name of fish

Post by farhaj »

I caught/ got these earlier from the sea.. Can you name these please

http://s29.postimg.org/rmf54dduv/image.jpg
http://s29.postimg.org/pgku9vaef/image.jpg

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by farhaj »

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

The bigger one is a batfish while the other one looks like a type of surgeonfish.

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by farhaj »

Peace wrote:The bigger one is a batfish while the other one looks like a type of surgeonfish.

1) the second one was of differnet color when it was caught .. But changed color after death.. Can you please re- check it and know me the exact name and information.

2) also for batfish is it eadible.. If yes, then how to clean its tough skin..

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I'm not familiar with surgeonfishes, so I can't provide anymore info that you can find on the Internet. The batfish is edible but not commonly sold or favoured locally. Not sure how would one treat a tough skin, but I suppose if you don't like it may be you can just remove it after cooking.

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by farhaj »

Peace wrote:I'm not familiar with surgeonfishes, so I can't provide anymore info that you can find on the Internet. The batfish is edible but not commonly sold or favoured locally. Not sure how would one treat a tough skin, but I suppose if you don't like it may be you can just remove it after cooking.
U mean cook batfish by grilling it or frying it.. And how you came up with seeing that the other one was surgeon fish

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Both ways of cooking will probably do but I think frying might do a better job at it. Regarding the other fish, I just thought it looked similar to that blue colour fish from 'finding nemo' and I just search from there. The profile does look like surgeonfish but I could be wrong. Check them out yourself. http://www.fishbase.org/identification/ ... &areacode=