Name of fish

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: SHore Fishing

Name of fish

Post by farhaj »

Can anyone tell me the name of this fish. I got it from the red sea. and is about the size of a long finger.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Name of fish

Post by Peace »

It's very difficult to tell with just the body shot, plus I'm not familiar with fishes from the red sea. Post a full shot of the fish, may be someone here can ID it. But if I were to guess, I'd say it's a slender silver biddy. :p

Welcome to HLF, farhaj. :flower:

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by farhaj »

I thiink it would be silver biddy. coz when one more said the same thing.. what is the difference between silver biddy and slender silver biddy.

also help me with the name of this kind of fish.. same in both pictures.. it is also from red sea.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Silver Biddies or Mojarras are common family name of Gerreidae. You can see the different species of silver biddies here. Slender Silver Biddy has a slightly more 'elongated' body compared to a common silver biddy.

In your second post, the first row of fishes are of the needlefish family. They look like the hound needlefish we have here. The second row are mullets, though I'm not sure of their exact species. The third row could be rabbitfish, but I can't be sure just by looking at their tails. The second picture are also mullets and the last fish is a blackspot snapper.

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by farhaj »

1) Don't you think it is a COrnet FIsh rather than HOund needle Fish.. or are they both the same.. I will attach more of the Pics..
2) also, can you be more sure of the rabbit fish and the type of mullet it is..
3) also, tell me what is the difference between silver biddy and slender silver biddy.
4) also, tell me the names of extra fish in the photos shown

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

farhaj wrote:1) Don't you think it is a COrnet FIsh rather than HOund needle Fish.. or are they both the same.. I will attach more of the Pics..
It's definitely from needlefish family. Needlefish has a uniform tapered beak while cornetfish is somewhat uniformly thick beak. But its most significant difference is that is has a long thread behind its tail. So they're not the same.
farhaj wrote:2) also, can you be more sure of the rabbit fish and the type of mullet it is..
The fish colour has faded from death but I'm fairly sure its from the rabbitfish family except for the first one on top. Its tail profile is different from the other two. There are quite a few species of mullets and some of them look very similar which is difficult to tell from pictures like these alone. It takes close scrutiny and expertise from a Ichthyologist to truly confirm the exact species of a fish. For us anglers, we can only be fairly certain of a particular species we catch due to the known or native species in the water we fish in. That usually narrows it down to a few species from its entire family.

farhaj wrote:3) also, tell me what is the difference between silver biddy and slender silver biddy.
I've answered that in my previous post. (was added in after an edit)

farhaj wrote:4) also, tell me the names of extra fish in the photos shown
Besides the mullet and blackspot snapper, the second fish from the top is totally unfamiliar to me.

Do try your local fishing community for answers, I bet there will be a few who can easily identify those fishes. :)

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by farhaj »

1)Can you tell me the type of fish it is in this photo for the first one.. U know it is a little green-white in water and after death it turns to complete black and then later to white slowly.. how does it work .. I do not know.. (2) Is it eatable..

(3) I will add some more its photos down here and the

(4) silver Biddy Link which you shared on the top posts does not open up..

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

farhaj wrote: 1)Can you tell me the type of fish it is in this photo for the first one.. U know it is a little green-white in water and after death it turns to complete black and then later to white slowly.. how does it work .. I do not know.. (2) Is it eatable..
It appears to be a rabbitfish too but probably not the same species as the other two. Most Rabbitfish or spinefoots have venomous spines but they're edible. You just have to careful not to get pricked by their spines. However, Rabbitfish may accumulate ciguatera toxin as with many species of reef fishes like groupers and snappers. Limiting the size and quantity of reef fishes consumed is usually a good way to avoid serious ciguatera poisoning.
farhaj wrote:(4) silver Biddy Link which you shared on the top posts does not open up..
It should open up to a list of thumbnails of varies species of silver biddies, the idea was to let you look at the difference in appearance among them. The slender silver biddy I was referring to is this one.

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by farhaj »

(1) What is ciguatera toxin
(2) Also, You did not mention about the change in color of this type of rabbit fish
(3) what type of rabbit fish would be this as it is differnet color and tail than the other 2.
(4) I ate this type twice and its meat is more like chicken taste

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

farhaj wrote:(1) What is ciguatera toxin
You can read more about it here
farhaj wrote:(2) Also, You did not mention about the change in color of this type of rabbit fish
It's quite normal for the change of colour after it dies, I don't know why this is so. Perhaps they can naturally change to colour when they're in distress to hide from predators or the change in colour pigments are used for attracting mate? Again, I cannot tell you which exact species but the white-spotted spinefoot we have here tend to have this colour change characteristics.
farhaj wrote:(3) what type of rabbit fish would be this as it is differnet color and tail than the other 2.
I can't be sure, sorry.
farhaj wrote:(4) I ate this type twice and its meat is more like chicken taste
Yes, the rabbitfish is very nice to eat. It's a common market fish in Singapore, and is quite sought after during the Chinese New Year season.

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by farhaj »

(1) yes, that which changes color quite much looks like the " white-spotted spinefoot" which you mentioned. I googled it. I see these fish are really lazy in the night and are sitting on corals and not move quick enough. Is it also the same situation during day or is different..

(2) the rabbit fish with yelllow lines on it in the photos above. what species in name is that and what do you say about this type..

(3) so you cannot say much about the mullets of the red sea as in the photo I catch above..

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I don't see any yellow lines on your rabbitfish photos, are you referring to the the snapper? Yes, I can't comment much about the mullets because they're not quite easy to differentiate. Some fish species are easy to identify because they have very distinct characteristics while others may look similar and require indepth examination to determine the species.

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by farhaj »

(1)Yes their are yellow lines in the 2nd and 3rd fish,

(2) Also, tell me these fish Kinds And names.. I know the snapper the others would be helpful...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I can't quite tell if the rabbitfish has lines on them from the tiny pictures but if there is it's possibly a Dusky spinefoot. In your second picture, the two fishes should be longfin batfish that have yet to reach maturity. Third picture is probably a cuttlefish, I'm can't tell you the exact species. The last picture seems like a grouper, I can't be sure of the exact species either. The grouper family is rather huge.

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by farhaj »

Long fin batfish .. Is that the same one in your profile pic as well.. How long does it grow upto..

2) and also you did not tell me about the rabbit fish laziness inthe night or activeness in the day..