Pulau Hantu Questions

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ThePractice
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Crabbing, Prawning, Cast Netting

Pulau Hantu Questions

Post by ThePractice »

Hi all, a few of my friends are planning a camping trip to pulau hantu. Can anyone give me some tips on fishing there? Like spots, baits, best tide, float or sink, etc..

I'm using a shimano lurematic (rod) and shimano fx 2500fb (reel).

Also considering Crabbing and Cast netting, should I?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Pulau Hantu Questions

Post by Peace »

Do note that Pulau Hantu is conjoint of Pulau Hantu Besar and Pulau Hantu Kechil. The name implies one is the bigger island while the other is the small one. Between the two islands is big lagoon, you can only cross over to the other side only if it's a spring tide when the lagoon completely dries out during low tide. So you need to decide on which island you want to fish on.

The big island has a toilet while the smaller one doesn't, the bigger island is also more popular with anglers. (Probably due to more fishes). On either island, there is a jetty and you can fish there if you don't want to walk. If you like to explore a little, there's a a small lagoon on each side of the islands too. Fish at the mouth of the lagoon during high tide, there are variety of fishes like tuskfish, snappers and groupers. You can also fish within the lagoon, there are lots of sand whitings in it. Barramundi and barracuda often enter the lagoon to prey on smaller fishes within.

Generally, the place is pretty rocky except within the lagoon. So you can expect your lures or sinkers to get snagged every now and then. For crabs, I'm not too sure if it's a good place for it. The lagoon is a good place for net casting though, there are lots of mullets in them as well.

Your rod and reel is fine, but I'm not sure if you're into baiting or artificial luring. Both works there well.

ThePractice
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ThePractice »

Thank you so much peace! You just saved me SO MUCH research time :yay:

It feels almost selfish to ask you more but I checked and its going to be a neap tide, any baiting tips for higher productivity there? and will a tamban hook get me anything?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I encountered lots of bait stealers the last time I was there, you can try live prawns but be sure you bring enough. I would focus more on using dead prawns though. As for tambans, don't count on them as baits as you won't always get them. The current flow can be quite unpredictable over there.

For Hantu Kechil, you'll be facing Bukom and fishing in that narrow channel. Quite often during spring tides where there is supposedly have fast current, Hantu Kechil may have little or no current at all due to effects of fast current on the main straits. Hantu Besar faces the southern islands with a more open water body and current effects. However, because the stretch of coast along the jetty is curved in, you may experience swirly current. That is to say, the current can go in opposite directions intermittenly.

Since you're going on neap tides, I suppose the current would be rather stable and easier to fish in. Don't just stick to the jetty if you're not getting any results, try the mouth of the lagoons too.

ThePractice
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by ThePractice »

Alright then! Thank you very very much! Will Post Cr if there's any :)