Seine or Drag Net fishing

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

farhaj
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: SHore Fishing

Seine or Drag Net fishing

Post by farhaj »

I would like to know a bit about Drag Net Fishing or also called as seine net Fishing from shore.. I am located close to the Red sea..so, their are a couple of things I would like to know..

1) As, The red sea is abundant in the Sea Corals and Big Rocks.. Is it still feasible to use it inside water from the shores or their would be any chances of it getting stuck in the corals/rocks...

2) if I am going into deep water say up till my chest, the maximum I can insert/risk myslef into the water, what height of this drag net would be best for it..

3) what is the smallest Mesh Size a Drag net can have in it.. Say, if I want to catch finger size fish what must be the Mesh Size of this drag net..

4) how to cast and utilize this drag net and what exactly is the method to catch fish with it..

Here is the Drag Net Photos or little details from wikipediea.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seine_fishing

Please let me know...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Seine or Drag Net fishing

Post by Peace »

1. It is feasible to use it inshore but it depends the terrain on the bottom. If it's plenty of corals like you said, it's going to get caught on the net very often and risk tearing the net.

2. The net height should be around your height. The height when it is used will be lowered since we need to account for the 'bowing' when you drag the net or when under effects of current or waves.

3. I'm not too sure about this but remember that as the mesh gets finer, the more drag and strain it has on the net. It will also traps a lot of unwanted stuff like seaweed.

4. I've never tried this before so I can't really advise you on that. Try searching for some youtube videos. :)