Just a question

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: jetty fishing, handline fishing, random fishing (literally)

Re: Just a question

Post by Icylines »

Im so sry for asking so many questions but How do you tie PVC PIPES to the jetty railings? I just got one and Have no idea How to do it.
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

You can use those elastics bicycle ropes to secure them but make sure you wrap them tight. You can also use large cable ties to secure them, if you can, get those releasable type.

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Icylines »

Ok i understand but it seems that people always tie them at a 45 to 60 degree angle and i was wondering how it is done but i guess i should just hop to bedok and see how they tie it
Asking around is probably the best
THANKS ANYWAYS i really appreciate it
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

There's a horizontal gap just below the top beam of the railing at Bedok Jetty. Just place the pvc tube into the gap and let both ends touch the top and bottom of the gap. Secure both ends tightly to the railing because when the rod is under heavy load, the tube will be pulling away from the beam. It may still wobble to its side so it's best to lean it beside a vertical beam of the gap as well.

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Post by Kishore »

Icylines wrote:Im so sry for asking so many questions but How do you tie PVC PIPES to the jetty railings? I just got one and Have no idea How to do it.

Greetings,
Assuming that you want to keep your rod in a vertical position,then the PVC tube will be lashed down in a vertical position
to the railing with bungee cords(the elastic cords with two hooks, one on each end like they use on motorcycles
to lash down items behind the rider)For that method,all you need is a PVC tube and Bungee Cords.
On the other hand if you want to place your rod in a horizontal position,please refer to the pictures i have attached.
You will have to cut slots in the PVC tube so as to lock the reel and it will not come off the PVC when the fish bites.Please bear in
mind that when the rod is placed in a vertical position,it cannot come loose of the holder when the fish bites and it is not the same
case in a horizontal position.
For the horizontal position a small slot needs to be cut at the bottom(last picture)because the PVC is cylindrical and it will not sit pretty on a flat surface.Don't cut too much off because if that is done then the inside diameter of the PVC becomes smaller and you will
find it hard to slot in your rod.I have cut two slots(1st picture)that is because if i cast on the left i slot and lock the reel on the left.
Cast on the right lock the reel on the right.
Normally i lash down PVC tube with parachute cords(available at hardware shops) and cast out, slot rod into tube, twist either
left or right and push reel forward to lock it.
Tools needed:
1)Half round file.
2)Hacksaw.
3)Side Cutter Pliers.

Hope my article and pictures help.

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Icylines »

Thanks Nice Rod holders!
hehe i have this bait runner reel so i dun really think that too much pressure would be put onto the rod holder but still
Better safe than sry
maybe i should ask some of the uncles at bedok how they tie it like knots and other stuff
anyways thanks!!! :) :) :D
Wheres my Fish?

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Post by Kishore »

Icylines wrote:Thanks Nice Rod holders!
hehe i have this bait runner reel so i dun really think that too much pressure would be put onto the rod holder but still
Better safe than sry
maybe i should ask some of the uncles at bedok how they tie it like knots and other stuff
anyways thanks!!! :) :) :D
During my Toman hunting days i used that rod holder with a Bait runner Reel.

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Icylines »

Ohhh sounds like a good method
should work well for todaks as well aside from the fact that todaks are just so annoying :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wheres my Fish?

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Icylines »

sry just wondering
i would like to try using a float rig to hunt groupers at labrador park aside from the fact that i have no idea how long my leader should be?
assumming im fishing from the rocky breakwater
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That depends on the tide level and where you're casting the float at. Basically you don't want the terminal rick to be touching the bottom as snagging rate can be extremely high. Adjust the lead line such that the bait is elevated about 1 ft off the bottom.