Multiplier Reel Upgrade

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ZhengQin
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: More to Surf and shore fishing.. but still a noob! :(

Multiplier Reel Upgrade

Post by ZhengQin »

Hi bros, sorry if this topic is posted before, but is upgrading to a multiplier reel worth it? Specifically a brand new Penn Defiance 40 Level Wind for $60.. Rod wise i have no idea, can anybody help me on this? Got into fishing a year back, still using a budget surecatch and some cheap reel, 2.4m. I do surf fishing but i find the spinning reel can't go far, i see those people with multiplier cast, it goes WHEEEEEEWHHHH cannot see one leh haha.. :p thank you bros, just joined btw. tight lines!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Multiplier Reel Upgrade

Post by Peace »

There can be a few factors that affect casting for both overhead and spinning reels. In general, overhead reels will cast a slightly further than spinning reels. Both need correct technique to cast their maximum potential distance. Also make sure your casting weight matches your rod rating. Higher end reels are machined with tighter tolerance and more ball bearings to aid smoother and longer casting distance. So, an entry level overhead reel may not cast better than an average spinning reel.

If you're interested to learn overhead reels, then it's worth buying the reel you mentioned. It's good to know how to handle and cast with it. It's quite different with spinning reels. Knowing both gives you more upgrade options to choose from in the future.

ZhengQin
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by ZhengQin »

Uhoh.. i might have been using the wrong weights. What do the sizing on the weights means? Like does 1.5 = 1.5oz or ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Those sinkers with 'J' affix or in longish shape are in ounces(oz). Those pear shape ones aren't, I'm not sure what weight units they are though. Most rod rating uses ounce or grams.

ZhengQin
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by ZhengQin »

Thank you! been using seriously over-big weights..