Snapper enquiry

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: jetty fishing, handline fishing, random fishing (literally)

Snapper enquiry

Post by Icylines »

came across this article
http://baktao.blogspot.sg/2014/02/singa ... apper.html
seems interesting are these all the same species "ang zhor"??
or are they all different?
i would assume they are the same?
just adapted to different conditions?
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Snapper enquiry

Post by Peace »

They are the same species, just different colours due to environment and possibly water quality. The farmed snappers have a brown and dirty tint to it, which I believe could be due to the proximity it is to the surface (ie prolonged exposure to the sun). I don't believe golden ones are subjected to depth but rather the ambient and structure of hiding the fish resides in. I've caught golden ones along shorelines, big and small as well as in offshore waters and most of those spots have dark hiding places for them.

I think a more interesting observation is not of the difference in colour but shape/profile. There are John's snapper with slender profile, which let me to doubt if it's the same species. Initially I thought it's due to the maturity stage of the fish but I've caught both normal and slender profiles of the same size (just slightly over 1kg). I've never seen a slender profile John's snapper that is smaller though.

Although it's not in the best angle, you can see the bottom one is more slender.

Another example.

Icylines
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: jetty fishing, handline fishing, random fishing (literally)

Post by Icylines »

what im more confused about is the difference between the normal ang zhor and kim zhor or golden snapper
Wheres my Fish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Icylines wrote:what im more confused about is the difference between the normal ang zhor and kim zhor or golden snapper
They are the same species, only difference in colour due to environmental factors.