Spawning season

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Manfred cher YY
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: into pier fishing, surf casting, jigging just started fishing not long ago. Can be found fishing at bedok Jetty, aspiring to land a queen fish and Barramundi

Spawning season

Post by Manfred cher YY »

Are the peacock bass currently still spawning and when is the next season?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Spawning season

Post by Peace »

Unlike other countries where temperatures changes drastically with season change, the water temperature and source of food for them here is relatively stable throughout the year. It is unlikely that they have seasonal breeding here. (I could be wrong)

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

Their spawning cycles may be related to rains. The males will develop a big hump on the head and are very colourful. This year Feb has been quite smooth in terms of weather. Last year feb, it is cool temperature and no rain which caused the reservoir water level to be low. Some years back, I thought I saw pb breeding around Oct. and Lsr always can see the pbs with fry. Under the jetty used to have alot of fry, but sediments has lowered the depth of the reservior near the jetty, and there are lesser pbs these days at Lsr.

From observations at freshwater and saltwater side at a spot, it is usually windy in Jan- Feb, choppy waves. after that slightly cool and dry weather, In March, dark tea colour water appear at saltwater side( which is very bad), Freshwater side may have fish die offs due to plankton bloom. May - Jun , Hot days, hopefully there are some convection rains. Sometimes big morning thunderstorms due to moonsoon. Aug- Oct sometime smooth, but Indonesia is going to burn forest again. Rains appear in middle of Nov last year.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I'd agree that the water level of reservoir does affect their spawning pattern. When the water level is low, their potential nesting area is reduced. Rainfall don't always correlate with the water level though. It also depends on the amount drawn from the reservoir for usage and the water level can also controlled by PUB. I remember there was a year where USR has long period of low water level even during the months with high rainfall.