Tips for begginer

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Manfred cher YY
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: into pier fishing, surf casting, jigging just started fishing not long ago. Can be found fishing at bedok Jetty, aspiring to land a queen fish and Barramundi

Tips for begginer

Post by Manfred cher YY »

GET A LIPGRIP. Hear me out ok, i know those who just got into fishing think that 'ooh why do i need a lip grip i also no catch until anything' trust me when i say this LIP GRIP SAVES UR HANDS. please dont act all macho and hold ur PBS or Cichlids with ur bare hands u will risk hooking urself and its not pleasent. I think Peace and Mod team will agree with me on this

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Tips for begginer

Post by Peace »

I suppose you're speaking from experience. :lol: Yes, it's a bad idea to handle most fish barehanded. You can just use a normal pair of pliers or a piece of cloth will do if you don't want to invest in a lip grip. Lip grip can securely lift the fish out of water, but make sure you get a decent one.

Also, you shouldn't grap a fish by its mouth with your thumb like in a lot of bass fishing videos. Some fish look like they don't have teeth but they actually do have very fine ones. You may only start to feel them when they struggle and that's when they start to 'sanding' your thumb.