Surf and boat fishing in the Philippines

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Paul
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Surf fishing and boat fishing

Surf and boat fishing in the Philippines

Post by Paul »

I've just bought a nice secondhand Loomis and Franklin 10' 'Big Game' rod (NEW 10BCV-A LENGTH 10' 0" 70-140g) and would welcome some advice on suitable reels, lines and lures.
My previous experience is limited to mostly mackerel fishing in the UK with a spinning set up and feather lures.
Intended use Surf Casting and Boat Fishing, using lures or bait.
- Would a suitable reel be something like an Abu Garcia Low profile Revo Premier?
- Was considering using braided line with a fluorocarbon leader, is this an appropriate choice?
- What line ratings for Line and Leader would you recommend, maybe 40/30 lb?
- What lures would you recommend?
Any other help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Paul

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Surf and boat fishing in the Philippines

Post by Peace »

Hi Paul, welcome to HLF. L&F Big Game is a good rod, it has lots of power to fight big fish. It's no longer in production from what I've heard, so you've got a good find. You certainly can use low profile baitcaster for surf, but you need to get the bigger ones that has higher torque and line retrievel rate. I think Revo Premier is slightly short of both, but nonetheless you can use it if you already have it. The new Abu Toro Beast would be a good choice but a little pricey, you can go for its predecessor Toro NaCl 50HS/60HS as a cheaper alternative. Both these reels are offshore worthy too.

Braided line would be the best choice to maximize casting distance. For leader, I would use nylon shock leader which is more stretchier for easier casting as well as protecting your braid from stress during cast. Length of shock leader should be about twice the length of your rod.

30 or 40lbs is both good depending on the size of fish you're targeting. The lighter line will allow you to cast further while the heavier one lets you have confidence against big fish. Do take into the consideration the line capacity of your reel when deciding this.

I'm not sure what lure(artificial) to recommend. We don't usually use them here, the mackerels here aren't common enough to justify luring using surf. If you want to target bottom fishes, a long snood bottom feeder rig will be the way to go. Baits can be prawns, squid, or fish fillet depending on what fish you're targeting.