Crabs as bait

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Crabs as bait

Post by gohyuheng »

Anyone has any experience using crabs? Like flower crabs and thunder crabs. Recently got my hand a number of small thunder crabs, heard they can be used as bait. What rig, hook size should I use, and what fish will I be expecting?
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Re: Crabs as bait

Post by murasame »

I havent tried before (dk where to get crabs) but probably can get fish like parrotfish, tuskfish grouper and grunters? If the crabs will be chopped up and rigged on an apollo rig (any hook size but not too small) theres chances of any fish taking but I heard parrotfish and tuskfish love crabs
Maybe you can even rig a small flower crab on an lsbf or floater (hook thru the points on the carapace of the crab so it doesnt die, take care when hooking also so u dont crack the shell and just get a nice hole) this way the crab will look like those drifting ones that make good targets for pelagics?
Blur sotong :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Thunder crabs' shell can be pretty tough, it's not a problem for groupers and tuskfish but other fishes may not like it so much. Flower crabs, climbing crabs and paddle crabs are good choices as bait. I've found crabs in chermin and kbl's gut before, so they definitely do take them but they probably don't take on large crabs compared to tuskfish and groupers. (relative to their size)

I would use crabs only when I have a good idea that the grouper or tuskfish that lurks in a particular area. Direct drop if possible so you can manipulate the crab to attract the fish's attention. If not, the crab should be elevated from the bottom. You don't want the crab to be lying at the bottom, the fish may not spot them easily with their camouflage.

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Thanks guys!! Unfortunately met with no luck today :( I've heard of people smashing up the shell of the thunder crabs before hooking it? And does the effectiveness vary between live and dead crabs?
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I personally don't think there's much of a difference. With live crabs, its movement can certainly be a plus in attracting attention. If you're using dead crab, you can use bigger crabs in halves. This creates stronger scent to attract fish too.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Post by murasame »

They may smash the shell because its too hard to puncture
Maybe instead of hooking thru the carapace you can hook through the area in between the carapace and the shell
Blur sotong :nod: