Beginner's Fishing Journey

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Foli
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Lure Fishing, Surf Fishing, Pay Pond Fishing.

Beginner's Fishing Journey

Post by Foli »

Hi all,

There could be many similar post already asked about what beginners gears for fishing, hence please bear with me.

Im looking at a budget of spending SGD $80 to SGD $150 for Shimano products (Rod / Reels) and most likely looking at braided lines.

Im really a newbie as i have just picked up this sport back 2 months ago in May.

My current fishing location are either at BJT or Pasir Ris Pay Pond - so i would like to know withthe budget i have
1. What Shimano Rod I could get
2. What Shimano Reel i could get
3. Which Braided Lines (lbs advise)
4. As well as which Fishing Tackle shop should i get it from.

Thanks
Foli

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Beginner's Fishing Journey

Post by Peace »

Hi Foli, welcome to HLF. Before I give any recommendations, may I ask what is your current set of tackles you've been using and why are you looking to buy a new set? Is the new set of tackles to be used for a specific type/place of fishing or just an all rounder setup?

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Post by murasame »

I dont know much about shimano's rods, but lately a few people have been reselling shimano fireblood rods after buying them from the open house this year, I think you can get one for yourself for about $80 if you check the FK classifieds or carousell. Those rods may range from light to medium action which both are good for your applications (pond and sea).
About the reel, you can pickup a 2500 or C2000-C3000 size from models like Sahara, Aernos for less expensive (~$80) or symetre and nasci (~$100) make sure the reels are approved for saltwater though since thats what you will be fishing.
About the line, you can get some powerpro (~$40 for 300yards of 12lbs) which is very strong, or you can try Daiwa J braid which is a really nice thin and soft line which is cheaper as well! ($25-$30 for 300yds of 12lbs)
Personally would go for J braid because I feel the softness and diameter can help with the cast.
If youre just doing light bottom fishing then 12lbs should be ok but if youre gonna throw really heavy stuff and target stingrays etc then you might want higher poundage like 20lbs or more (and your rod has to be stiffer as well)
Overall it really depends on the fish you are targeting, small, arms-length fish or big bruisers... If its a all round setup and you want to enjoy the fight of the fish then a 6-12lbs or a 8-14lbs setup would be good enough and fun too.
Joes tackle at beach road or changi pro should have all these items.
Blur sotong :nod:

Foli
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Foli »

Peace wrote:Hi Foli, welcome to HLF. Before I give any recommendations, may I ask what is your current set of tackles you've been using and why are you looking to buy a new set? Is the new set of tackles to be used for a specific type/place of fishing or just an all rounder setup?
Hi Peace,

Thanks for making my feel welcome to HLF. My current set of tackles are actually given by my cousin - Daiwa rod and reel as well as some unknown old and shimano reel. (What my cousin told me was that all the rods and reels he gave me is really old and advise me if im just playing for fun then it suffice).

However last weekend - when im using the Daiwa rod - the handle that use to house the reel give way... so that explain why im looking to buy a new set.

As im a beginner - im looking for a all rounder setup that fits into onshore fishing (example Bedok Jetty, Woodland Jetty, West Coast Park, Labrador Park etc) as well as going to Pasir Ris Pay Pond.

Im still very noob onto fishing. I saw ppl recommending Shimano Scimitar AX 7" feet rod and Aernos XT 2500 / C3000 so was wondering will that be over killed for a beginner.

Light weighted rod will be good as well as i do alot of luring at Pasir Ris Pay Pond and Onshore/Jetty places - normally used live bait.

Regards,
Foli

Foli
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Foli »

murasame wrote:I dont know much about shimano's rods, but lately a few people have been reselling shimano fireblood rods after buying them from the open house this year, I think you can get one for yourself for about $80 if you check the FK classifieds or carousell. Those rods may range from light to medium action which both are good for your applications (pond and sea).
About the reel, you can pickup a 2500 or C2000-C3000 size from models like Sahara, Aernos for less expensive (~$80) or symetre and nasci (~$100) make sure the reels are approved for saltwater though since thats what you will be fishing.
About the line, you can get some powerpro (~$40 for 300yards of 12lbs) which is very strong, or you can try Daiwa J braid which is a really nice thin and soft line which is cheaper as well! ($25-$30 for 300yds of 12lbs)
Personally would go for J braid because I feel the softness and diameter can help with the cast.
If youre just doing light bottom fishing then 12lbs should be ok but if youre gonna throw really heavy stuff and target stingrays etc then you might want higher poundage like 20lbs or more (and your rod has to be stiffer as well)
Overall it really depends on the fish you are targeting, small, arms-length fish or big bruisers... If its a all round setup and you want to enjoy the fight of the fish then a 6-12lbs or a 8-14lbs setup would be good enough and fun too.
Joes tackle at beach road or changi pro should have all these items.
Hi Murasame,

Thanks for your reply - im looking forward to hopefully land some Golden Travelly, Chermins, Sai Toh, Barracuda, Threadfin or even string ray etc ... some days (i hope lol).

So just want to make sure the all rounder set-up i wanted (rod, reels, line) can survive the fight with the fishes im aiming for :) :)

Regards
Foli

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Post by murasame »

Np!
If youre going to target those fish, maybe you can go with a size C3000-4000 reel instead since they give you more drag power to handle the larger species
If youre still unsure on your ability to handle the fish, then maybe a 4000 size will be the way to go (my first reel was an Aernos 4000 with powerpro 15lbs i think) along with a 10-20lbs or higher rod
All the best in your upcoming fishing adventures :)
Blur sotong :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I thought it might be a good idea to use your current setup for a bit longer and save up for a mid tier setup, but that's only if you're serious into fishing. With your current budget, you'll be replacing an entry level setup with another. That's fine since your old one is unserviceable. With Shimano tackles at this price range , you're pretty much locked into the setup you've mentioned (Scimitar + Aernos XT). That's perfectly fine too.

With pond fishing, most people would prefer a lighter setup for finesse and thrill so you might find this setup a little overkill. It will do relatively okay in jetties but in places like Labrador Park or West Coast Park, you might need a longer rod for casting distance.

Since it's going to be your only setup for a while, you should at least get a C3000 size reel, 4000 if you intend to do offshore with it. You can use 15 - 20lbs line, if you're not confident with your knots, always go for the stronger lines. Daiwa J-braid and and Berkley Whiplash are both good lines at resonable price. (Around 30ish) Do not skimp on the lines. J braid is smoother since it's an 8 carrier line but whiplash has lower diameter per strength test.

For economical reasons, try to fit 300m of lines into your reel. Even if you don't use that much line during your fishing, you will eventually lose line through wear or hang ups. After you lose noticeable amount of lines, just put mono lines as backing in your spool to maintain your braided lines near brim.

If you're interested in Shimano products, you can drop by Tan Thong Cheong. They have a good range of Shimano rods and reels you can browse from. Eupro rods are also pretty good and affordable, a good place to shop for them is at Joe's Tackle.

You can also take a look at fishingbuddy, they have an online catalogue where you can check the price too.
Scimitar
Aernos XT
J-Braid

Foli
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Foli »

murasame wrote:Np!
If youre going to target those fish, maybe you can go with a size C3000-4000 reel instead since they give you more drag power to handle the larger species
If youre still unsure on your ability to handle the fish, then maybe a 4000 size will be the way to go (my first reel was an Aernos 4000 with powerpro 15lbs i think) along with a 10-20lbs or higher rod
All the best in your upcoming fishing adventures :)
Hi Murasame - thanks for your advice !! That alot of help to a noob :)

And yes i will need all the luck in hope of catching some medium / biggies for all my upcoming fishing adventures.

Regards,
Foli

Foli
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Foli »

Peace wrote:I thought it might be a good idea to use your current setup for a bit longer and save up for a mid tier setup, but that's only if you're serious into fishing. With your current budget, you'll be replacing an entry level setup with another. That's fine since your old one is unserviceable. With Shimano tackles at this price range , you're pretty much locked into the setup you've mentioned (Scimitar + Aernos XT). That's perfectly fine too.

With pond fishing, most people would prefer a lighter setup for finesse and thrill so you might find this setup a little overkill. It will do relatively okay in jetties but in places like Labrador Park or West Coast Park, you might need a longer rod for casting distance.

Since it's going to be your only setup for a while, you should at least get a C3000 size reel, 4000 if you intend to do offshore with it. You can use 15 - 20lbs line, if you're not confident with your knots, always go for the stronger lines. Daiwa J-braid and and Berkley Whiplash are both good lines at resonable price. (Around 30ish) Do not skimp on the lines. J braid is smoother since it's an 8 carrier line but whiplash has lower diameter per strength test.

For economical reasons, try to fit 300m of lines into your reel. Even if you don't use that much line during your fishing, you will eventually lose line through wear or hang ups. After you lose noticeable amount of lines, just put mono lines as backing in your spool to maintain your braided lines near brim.

If you're interested in Shimano products, you can drop by Tan Thong Cheong. They have a good range of Shimano rods and reels you can browse from. Eupro rods are also pretty good and affordable, a good place to shop for them is at Joe's Tackle.

You can also take a look at fishingbuddy, they have an online catalogue where you can check the price too.
Scimitar
Aernos XT
J-Braid
Hi Peace - Appreciate all your kind advices.

Yes - originally i was planning not to purchase any gears (but no thanks to the daiwa rod that start giving ways)...

I'm still undecided whether to proceed purchasing any gears yet...as i still could use those unknown old rods..

Does C3000 or 4000 reel about to fit in 300m of braided lines? I do agree that it more economical in-terms of $$$ to try fitting in more lines.

A couple of questions on your reply (sorry for asking so much)

1. I forgot to mention that i have a smaller jigging rod that i used in Bedok Jetty for jiggin Tamban - which is a shimano cruzer 5 feet - $20 bucks and a $25 reel loaded with powerpro 20lb lines 150m ... brought from Fishing Buddy - Do you think this rod can be use for luring / baiting at pond fishing?

2. As for the fishingbuddy online catalogue - i do notice that they have quite a fair bit of equipments listed - Are their pricing up to date ? Cos i know some places are selling Aernos 2500 / 3000 at around $90+.

3. How the pricing like at Tan Thong Cheong and their services?

4. As for the rod / reel - i have not firm up on Scimitar / Aernos - Is there a combo that is better for beginners?
One of the shop i visited - suggested i go for Shimano Lurematic 7" or Lemax rod.. i cant seems to find reviews on Lurematic rods and i didnt manage to get the model for lemax rod (cos around $50ish).

Regards,
Foli

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You can certainly choose to use your old reel is still in good condition, it can save you quite a bit of money till you know what you really want. C3k or 4k will fit 300m lines, subjected to the line diameter. It can be a little tricky to choose the right one that will fit just nice since manufacturers have their own standard of measuring line diameter. Line diameter is either denoted by its actually measurement(mm) or PE. Reel specification will tell you how much its spool can hold.

Take Aernos c3k for example:
Line Capacity : PE #2.5 - 180m , #3 - 150m , #4 - 100m

This one doesn't tell you anything below PE 2.5 so you have to extrapolate from that if you want to know how much PE 1 lines it can hold.

Let's say we're going for Daiwa J braid for example, going for PE 1 (18lbs strength)
We know from its specs that PE1 has a diameter of 0.13mm and PE2.5 has a diameter of 0.22mm. Since c3k can hold 180m of PE2.5, then it should hold (0.22/0.13)*180m = 304.6m of PE1 lines. This is just a very rough estimate.

Your Cruzar setup should be fine if it can handle your lure weight for casting, it's a pretty tough rod since it's a glass rod. It's slightly heavier than graphite rod, but can certainly take more abuse.

The pricing on fishingbuddy should be updated since you can actually purchase them online. Do take note that the prices changes when you select differnt size/model.

I'm not quite sure on the pricing at Tan Thong Cheong, but it's a good place to try or feel Shimano products you're interested in. You can also order any Shimano JDM products from them too.

You won't find much reviews on entry level rods and there's only so much they can give you at that price. Personally, if the rods components are decent, ie. uses fuji components, it's probably a safe bet. Spend some time shopping around, it's important to feel the rod yourself before deciding which one suits you. And believe it or not aesthetics can be a deciding factor with many anglers. Shimano, Eupro, Lemax and Abu all offers very decent entry level rods.

Foli
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Foli »

Peace wrote:You can certainly choose to use your old reel is still in good condition, it can save you quite a bit of money till you know what you really want. C3k or 4k will fit 300m lines, subjected to the line diameter. It can be a little tricky to choose the right one that will fit just nice since manufacturers have their own standard of measuring line diameter. Line diameter is either denoted by its actually measurement(mm) or PE. Reel specification will tell you how much its spool can hold.

Take Aernos c3k for example:
Line Capacity : PE #2.5 - 180m , #3 - 150m , #4 - 100m

This one doesn't tell you anything below PE 2.5 so you have to extrapolate from that if you want to know how much PE 1 lines it can hold.

Let's say we're going for Daiwa J braid for example, going for PE 1 (18lbs strength)
We know from its specs that PE1 has a diameter of 0.13mm and PE2.5 has a diameter of 0.22mm. Since c3k can hold 180m of PE2.5, then it should hold (0.22/0.13)*180m = 304.6m of PE1 lines. This is just a very rough estimate.

Your Cruzar setup should be fine if it can handle your lure weight for casting, it's a pretty tough rod since it's a glass rod. It's slightly heavier than graphite rod, but can certainly take more abuse.

The pricing on fishingbuddy should be updated since you can actually purchase them online. Do take note that the prices changes when you select differnt size/model.

I'm not quite sure on the pricing at Tan Thong Cheong, but it's a good place to try or feel Shimano products you're interested in. You can also order any Shimano JDM products from them too.

You won't find much reviews on entry level rods and there's only so much they can give you at that price. Personally, if the rods components are decent, ie. uses fuji components, it's probably a safe bet. Spend some time shopping around, it's important to feel the rod yourself before deciding which one suits you. And believe it or not aesthetics can be a deciding factor with many anglers. Shimano, Eupro, Lemax and Abu all offers very decent entry level rods.
Hi Peace,

Thanks very much - it really very good advice from you.

Will do some more studies and research for now :)

Regards,
Foli