Where to buy gaff?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

Where to buy gaff?

Post by Commando_YR_Chin »

Hi everyone, does anybody know where to buy gaff?(anyone selling?) I'm looking for 1 that has a collapsible/telescopic pole handle instead of rope cause I think rope would be harder to control... :)
(P.s. Is a telescopic gaff or a telescopic net more suitable for landing fish at the end of bedok jetty?)
Fishing is #AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: :D :fish: :fish2:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Where to buy gaff?

Post by Peace »

I've not seen those gaff that comes with a pole rod long enough to reach the water from a jetty but you can certainly DIY with a pole rod and a gaff hook. Telescopic nets that long are iso nets, I'm not sure if that is long enough as well. As for the gaff, Joe's Tackle and Tackle World have them. They're large treble hooks, sort of like the ones butchers use to hang meat.

Tackle World has two sizes as well as other types of gaff too.

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

ok thanks!
will get this also for any future big game catches... now trying to diy mod a landing net for smaller catches by extending the pole length...but pvc pipe extension too flexible...any ideas how to make it rigid? :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Anything that long is going to be wobbly, aluminium poles are lighter and stronger but there's the cost factor. Unlike sotong nets, you don't really need a strong pole. Just anticipate the fish's movement and guide it into the net. Never lift the net up at an angle, pull it up vertically or you're going to break the pole.

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

ok thanks! :)