Ike Jime

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring, Offshore, Ponding, Jigging

Ike Jime

Post by Limpeh »

Have been reading on Ike Jime, and even saw a experience guy doing it on an offshore trip.

Few questions to ask here:

- If you know what i'm talking about, and has been performing it, where do you buy your ike jime gears? especially the long wire on the spinal cord.

- If you put the fish down almost immediately after caught, where and how do you store it until end of your trip? Particularly if it's a pond trip.

- If left bleeding and kept in the water in the pond, do you think there will be any form of bacteria that might enters into the fish? Since there's opening like spinal channel, gills after bleed, etc.

I'm seeking info that's practical to our local pond scenario. Most online that i read are mainly oversea and offshore.

Cheers. :D

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Ike Jime

Post by Peace »

I have no experience with what you're talking about but I definitely won't be soaking the fish in the pond water during or after bleeding them. You might want to bring a pail to bleed them and after which it should be put into an icebox without direct contact with freshwater or ice.

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Limpeh »

Thanks for the reply Peace.

I was fortunate to be onboard a southern island trip with a guy who's good at this. He did it to all the fishes we caught, big or small, and that's a lot of effort.

I have to admit, the result of it was the taste of the fish was awesome! It could be due to both offshore fish + immediately ike jime once caught. I would think even fish caught at local pond, with ike jime and proper storage, the taste should still something worth all the effort.

They did warn me: once you eat the fish after ike jime, your mouth will be "spoilt"...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I looked up some videos on youtube and it does seem to take some effort and precision. Stabbing the fish with the spike seems okay to me but flushing a long needle down its spinal cord sends shivers down mine. I usually avoid farm/pond fish due to the taste but you might just prove otherwise.

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Limpeh »

There's a very good write-up by one of our local:
https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/201 ... g-quality/

Angler's Secret web, being a Jap writer definitely talks about this:
http://www.anglers-secrets.com/how-to-keep-fish-fresh/
At the bottom of the page, there are links to purchase the special spike and wire. These are the ones that i seen my friend used on-board. Done beautifully.

Closing the fish is actually the more humane way to kill the fish, than to let it die slowly.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That's a very detailed writeup about Ike Jime. Thanks for sharing the links.