Using dead prawns as bait

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Using dead prawns as bait

Post by murasame »

Will be going to southern islands this wed (family trip cuz aunt booked yacht so not rlly for fishing lol)
Any reccomendations on rigs to use etc?
I dont think its possible for me to get live prawns for this trip, anyone tried dead prawns in southern waters knows if they work?
Blur sotong :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Using dead prawns as bait

Post by Peace »

I would use a range of smaller hooks to go with those dead prawns, cut into pieces. You can start off with 2 hooks size 1/0 apollo rig with a single prawn cut into two, make sure you peel the shell off. If you aren't getting anything for a while, consider switching to sabiki jig size 8 and cut the prawn meat to even smaller size to fit those hooks.

Family trips should be focused on fun and cohesion, so your priority should be landing fishes regardless of size. Let everyone have a turn with it if you don't have enough tackles to go around. If you really want to go big, then use a madai jig and hook one prawn on each of the two hooks. I wouldn't go for the trouble of getting live prawns on such a trip. Dead prawns can work well too.

Have fun on your trip.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

Thx peace, what can I expect to catch? Btw i bought 2 40g tenyas, would they work with dead prawns?

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

Ive also bought an egi to try out, but its a 1.5, is that too small?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

It really depends on where they are bringing you, but my guess is they will bring you to Lazarus/Kusu Islands where there's sheltered water and the scenery is nice. You can expect a variety of coral fishes like tuskfish, groupers and snappers. You can try eging if they get close to the shoreline where there's corals and seaweed. Your tenya and squid jigs will work fine.