Any tips on how to target and catch stingray?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

Any tips on how to target and catch stingray?

Post by Commando_YR_Chin »

Hey guys i planning to target and catch stingray in near future...
got any suggestions on what bait and tackle gear and tips for fighting this species? :)
Fishing is #AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: :D :fish: :fish2:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Any tips on how to target and catch stingray?

Post by Peace »

Has this got to do with the big stingray that was landed at Bedok Jetty recently? ;) On top of the heavy gear required, it's more important to the strength and stamina to fight the fish. Because once it lifts off the bottom and starts moving, you need to gain as much line as you can. Bait wise, any dead baits will do but I'll stick with fresh or live sotong if I do have it. That way you can still target for other quality species too.

For main line 40 to 50lbs is plenty, most surf reels don't output that sort of drag anyway. More importantly is your leader since we're dealing with the ray moving very close to the bottom. 80lbs leader is a good minimum, but if your spot is all sandy not prone to snagging, feel free to go lower for better casting.

Commando_YR_Chin
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Jetty Fishing, Lure Fishing, Squid Fishing, Crabbing, Offshore Fishing.

Re: Any tips on how to target and catch stingray?

Post by Commando_YR_Chin »

ok thanks!
Fishing is #AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: :D :fish: :fish2: