Non Tenya Rod for Tenya

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring, Offshore, Ponding, Jigging

Non Tenya Rod for Tenya

Post by Limpeh »

I have a rod Majorcraft Skyroad 662 ml/s (6'6", Lure=6-28g, line=8-16lb, 2 pc mid joint).

I have a day trip to do some tenya, not whole day though. I've no intention to invest on a tenya rod just for this short session. Was wondering if this rod is suitable for 60g & 100g tenya.

By looking at the spec of rod, it seems totally out and confirm cannot, but that 6-28g spec is for lure casting and not dropping a 100g jig straight down. We know that there's a chance rod might break when casting if angler load if over the spec (or line caught, etc).

Not sure if this rod can be used for straight drop down, light jigging movement of 100g max, and probably bringing up few kilograms of fish?

(i know it's likely the wrong rod, wanna clear some doubts and also understand more on rod spec at same time)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Non Tenya Rod for Tenya

Post by Peace »

Yes you can use it but I would use it but keep it to 60-80g range. Just be careful when setting hook, you don't want anything even near high sticking the rod. Tip the rod lower than usual and use the butt power to strike the fish.

The problem with overloading in your case is not much of breaking the rod if you know how to handle it. It's that the more you overload, the more action of the rod is lost.

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Limpeh »

Thanks Peace.

1) When you said use butt power to strike the fish, can you elaborate on this? could be hard to explain in words i guess.

2) Since tenya is to drop to the bottom, lift rod tip up and down, to let the tenya fall in silly manner back to the bottom. Was worrying that the lifting of the rod on a 80g tanya may possible harm the rod?

3) is there a rule of thumb on the rod spec that you use to estimate if certain luring rod can be use for such application?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

1) It means you typical wouldn't want to raise your rod tip as high as you usually would, but instead would be pulling the butt backwards to make up for not being to raise your rod tip higher. So it's like half tipping the rod upwards and half pulling back.

2) Working the Tenya is a slow and swift motion unlike fast jigging or casting, it wouldn't harm your rod unless you're tipping the rod at a near vertical position.

3) Rod spec of similar power and action can vary quite a bit because each manufacturer has their own standards and some tends to be more conservative while others overstates. You'll notice luring rods tends to have very low lure weight because they're made for cast intensive use. Aside from lure weight, I would look at the rod's power. Higher power ratings can hand Tenyas better. (This is in the context of using luring rods for offshore)

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Limpeh »

Love asking questions and get answers from you. Learned new things again.

Thanks Peace.