Recommendations for rod for shore light game and luring

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Fishhunt
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Recommendations for rod for shore light game and luring

Post by Fishhunt »

Currently looking for a rod for soft plastics/ micro jigging form shore. I intend to use lures from 3g to max 10g in weight. Any recommendations? Would use it around local breakwaters such as at MSP or ECP so rod must be able to handle sizes of fishes caught at these places with lures of such weight category mentioned above. Thanks.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Recommendations for rod for shore light game and luring

Post by Peace »

I'm not updated with the latest tackle but you can look at Storm Teenie if you're actually fishing along the rocks. If you're looking more into targeting pelagics that may require further casting distance, you might want to get a rod that is 7-8' rod like Shore X.

Limpeh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring, Offshore, Ponding, Jigging

Re: Recommendations for rod for shore light game and luring

Post by Limpeh »

Not an expert on this, but some thoughts came up:

- < 10g for shore casting, may also means you can't cast too far due to the wind.
- To cast < 10g at shore, will most probably need something long and whippy. Couldn't be too stiff else will be harder to get the distance on light lure.
- When it's long and whippy, it's usually tougher to handle bigger fish, be it setting the hook or getting it back to land it.

Playing UL at shore is always a pain, mainly due to the wind.

Probably can consider play anything 12g - 25g. May be easier on the wind and distance.

My 2cents.