casting BC

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

rookie
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

casting BC

Post by rookie »

today saw a uncle cast with a gold color multipler

can see he is very good at it, line shoot out smoothly and you can see the sinker fly out quite far b4 landing into water

from my side, he is using those with the line guide

just curious, how hard isit to learn to cast a BC/multipler???

wat are the pro and con compare to spinning reel?

sorry for the newbie question
i'm is still a rookie. ::x: ::x:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: casting BC

Post by Peace »

I've not used a baitcasting reel before so I don't know how hard it is to master casting with it. But you'd probably heard mixture of horror stories of char bee hoon from baitcasters and others who swear you can prevent overrun once you're good with it. Personally, I do see baitcasting users with birdnest once in awhile regardless of experience.

With regards to the difference between spinning and baitcaster. I think some of the general differences are:
- Baitcaster will lesser spool resistance over long range than spinning while spinning will have less spool resistance over short distance. That is to say, a spinning is actually able to cast ultra light lures better than a baitcaster. But when a line is properly loaded with the correct weight on its end, baitcaster should be able to cast further.

- Baitcaster reel design makes it easier to implement dual speed; high speed for fast retrieval and low speed for cranking heavy sinkers. (Not sure if spinning reel comes with dual speed)

- A lot of anglers will agree that baitcasting reel is able to take more punishment than a spinning reel. The baitcasting reel is designed such that the stopping force is directly applied to the spool which is very robust while spinning reel has the line pivoted at its bail arm before the spool itself. You can should be able to see the bail arm being stressed if you applied heavy load on your reel such as trying to free your line from a snag.

- Baitcasting reel typically are better designed for higher capacity of line intended for long distance casting. Although spinning reels for surf typically come with wide/deep spool for high line capacity, it still suffers increasing spool resistance as line paying out digs deeper into the spool, as opposed to baitcaster reel where resistance is more or less constant throughout.

But with advances in designing both types of reel, you'll probably see the gap between the two closing in. High end reels are typical examples of such where more cost is put into minimizing the weakness of its inherent design as well as better handling of higher load.

rookie
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by rookie »

thx peace bro

17 views and only u reply

was tinking mayb i should try to cast a bc 1 of these days

as i always like to learn new stuff nowaday as compare to when i was fishing 10years ago

i'm glad that i learnt the FG knot from mr 洗地粉

so later this evening, will be first time testing out the FG knot i tied myself at fw3.

thx! :)

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Agreed with Peace.

I do not know much about BC reels.
I did tried casting a BC ... both onshore n offshore.
Somehow , I do not like the "feel"
One of the reason could be that I am too used to the normal spinning reels.
I have a certain level of confidence casting a spinning.
At least can do a straight cast even in crowded places. :p

Casting a BC requires a good arm strength ... which I definitely lacks.

Being right handed and Simon a left hander ... it's hard for us if either one of us goes for a BC.
We will face the problem having different setups.
We shared our tackles at times though we do have our own individual setups.

The most obvious reason which kept us away from a BC is what Peace mentioned.

Peace wrote:Personally, I do see baitcasting users with birdnest once in awhile regardless of experience.

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Post by Tere »

:lol: Yesterday u ask me mah ... then I can tell u ...

The BC reel is kind of like a winch. Like yesterday's case ... while fighting the stupid cat, I can thumb the spool occassionally to add drag to the spool. the fight is somewhat more direct too.

Cons is that if not handled properly, its easy to char bee hoon. :lol:

the lure positioning can be very accurate too ... because u can stop lure flight with ur thumb.

arsenal
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by arsenal »

rookie i dun use baitcaster nor i like BC cos i find tat is abit troublesome unless u can master it very well.
below here is a link for some info of how to use BC, hope its help u with some information of BC.
if u can master how to use it, i personally find tat BC in luring is like damn COOL n stylish.

http://www.reelsportsrecreation.com/ree ... reelright/

rookie
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by rookie »

steady lah

finally got more ppl reply liao.

cheers!! :) :)

arsenal
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by arsenal »

rookie wrote:steady lah

finally got more ppl reply liao.

cheers!! :) :)
cos here not much ppl use BC mah tats y no ppl dare to reply. lol.....

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Post by Tere »

Rookie .. if u noticed ... I think oni me use Bery Cute Reel for fishing :lol:

arsenal
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by arsenal »

Tere wrote:Rookie .. if u noticed ... I think oni me use Bery Cute Reel for fishing :lol:
yayayayaya.....tere di di i oso notice u cha bee hoon few times. bwahahahahahahahaha..... :D :D :D
tere di di mai angry hor.....joking nia....

rookie
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by rookie »

Tere wrote:Rookie .. if u noticed ... I think oni me use Bery Cute Reel for fishing :lol:
haha, isit pink color ah?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

arsenal
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by arsenal »

rookie wrote:
haha, isit pink color ah?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
no u are wrong is orange color de.....

ah yi
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf fishing

Post by ah yi »

Hehehe :D, i'm here ....
www.yii-bjt.blogspot.com To see all our latests catch report from Bedok jetty.. : )