Luring with a pole rod

Fishing reports primary from freshwater reservoirs, lakes and streams.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Luring with a pole rod

Post by Peace »

I had an idea overcoming hard to reach places where fishes a likely to be hiding or fishing from a place where casting is impossible. This trip, I put together a combination of tackles and put it to test - working a spinner bait using a pole rod. The setup seems pretty effective but the rod is too soft and heavy to make a proper hook set. But I must say it was very fun when the fish hit. :D

The spinner bait.

Finally, a peacock bass was landed after several misess.

A video of pole rodding in action, it's worth a few laughs. :lol:

I didn't bring a rod and reel on this trip but I did bring along a handline and my stick bait. Interestingly, I was able to 'walk the dog' with the spool, though only half as good or easy as with a rod. Nevertheless, I got a fish with it. :lol:

fishingboy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Re: Luring with a pole rod

Post by fishingboy »

here bro i think that is a temansis

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Hey you are right, I'm starting to see the difference now that I've done some reading. Dang, I should have took a nice picture of first one that took my stickbait. Thanks!

fishingboy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by fishingboy »

haha np :D

jenggo
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: lure fishing

Post by jenggo »

Nice job Peace! I'd love to try handline soon, is it tough to control? or one has to be creative to use handline?
The moment when you see something trailing your lure, your heart stops and you start praying, "BITE ME!"

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Luring on handlines can be very tiring depending the length of stroke and speed of retrieval the lure needs to be worked. Handlines are more like a low ratio reel, they're good at delivering power but lousy at speed. Spinnerbaits are quite okay to work using handlines because the retrieval can be slow and the motion is consistent. Stickbaits are bearable but I can't produce consistent good action out of it.