Fishing at Punggol Park

Fishing reports primary from freshwater reservoirs, lakes and streams.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Darth Salacious
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Re: Fishing at Punggol Park

Post by Darth Salacious »

Since we are touching on the issue of Berkley Gulp here, I hope the thread author doesn't mind if I ask a few questions about it. (If I'm hijacking, pls let me know and I'll start a new thread. Thanks)

I've seen it being sold in packets in tackles all around, and they usually come in moist packets. They look rather convincing, with a range of different baits on offer, like baitfish, shrimp and grub. From my understanding, this moisture in the packet retains the overall flavour and smell of the bait, which releases pheromones to attract fishes. How many casts can I make on one particular bait before it loses it's effectiveness?

And it seems to be made of rubber or some synthetic material that looks like gummy. Do we hook it up in the same manner as other baits? Or is there a special method and specific hooks required to hook them up? (i.e Long Shank hook)

I've also read in Modern Fishing that Berkley Gulp is the most effective bait around, with research showing that fishes hold on to them for more than 20 seconds before spitting them out. Other brands simply just repel fishes or don't work at all.
A bad day at fishing is better than a good day at work.

My Fishing Blog - The Peranakan Angler

junxiiang
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Handline Fishing N Bait Fishing...

Post by junxiiang »

Peace wrote:Hi junxiiang, may I know how did you catch the tortoises and soft shell turtles?
I caught them with bread.. Just moved here and decided to try.. Would be getting a lure for the next trips since it is prohibited.. Any bros know where to find tackles shop around hougang area?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Darth Salacious wrote:How many casts can I make on one particular bait before it loses it's effectiveness?
I've never used Berkley Gulps before but it will probably last you at least 3-4 trips, by then the gulp would probably wear out from repeated casting and strikes from fishes. If you ever used storm rubbers in pond, you find that its tail get snipped off almost every time a Mangrove Jack strikes. :lol:
Darth Salacious wrote:And it seems to be made of rubber or some synthetic material that looks like gummy. Do we hook it up in the same manner as other baits? Or is there a special method and specific hooks required to hook them up? (i.e Long Shank hook)
Yes, use a hook with shank long enough to pierce half the gulp while leaving the other half to wiggle to attract fish. Insert the hook from the tip of the head and out at the mid section.
Darth Salacious wrote:I've also read in Modern Fishing that Berkley Gulp is the most effective bait around, with research showing that fishes hold on to them for more than 20 seconds before spitting them out. Other brands simply just repel fishes or don't work at all.
It would be interesting to see if the Gulp is as effective as advertised, at least on local fishes. Being more effective than live bait would be a breakthrough but I have my doubts. If the fish would take the gulp without the angler working it, it would be pretty amazing by itself. I got to try one of these myself one day. :nod:
junxiiang wrote:I caught them with bread.. Just moved here and decided to try.. Would be getting a lure for the next trips since it is prohibited.. Any bros know where to find tackles shop around hougang area?
I would advise going down Changi Village. It's a little far but you have a wide selection of lures there, plus you can do some fishing there as well. ;)

RaymondAng
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Any type of fishing as long can go fishing.

Post by RaymondAng »

If you want more info. Go the Hougang Mall Library and borrow the Rod & Line Magazine(June Issue), look at the 1st few page for a Library Sticker and it will tell you that this issue come with a VCD and the VCD no. to get.
It show you how to use Berkley Gulp
:D

junxiiang
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by junxiiang »

Thanks for all the advice.. I bought a lure and tried luring there yesterday.. After walked 1 round and casted about 80 times, something tug on my humbug... So i begin fighting it for 4 minute and up it goes... My first fish caught on lure.

Released the 1 eyed-toman after that...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Congrats on your first and most important fish. :thumbsup: The first one is always give us the confidence and assurance that our tackle and technique works. That's a pretty big toman, it must have been an enjoyable 4 mins. ;)

RaymondAng
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by RaymondAng »

junxiiang wrote:Thanks for all the advice.. I bought a lure and tried luring there yesterday.. After walked 1 round and casted about 80 times, something tug on my humbug... So i begin fighting it for 4 minute and up it goes... My first fish caught on lure.
Released the 1 eyed-toman after that...
Well done. Where did you get it? Is it at Ponggol Pond or some other place?

junxiiang
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by junxiiang »

RaymondAng wrote:Well done. Where did you get it? Is it at Ponggol Pond or some other place?
It's Ponggol Pond bro.

RaymondAng
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by RaymondAng »

junxiiang wrote: It's Ponggol Pond bro.
Thanks. Will try it out this weekend.