Canal in Northern Singapore

Fishing reports primary from freshwater reservoirs, lakes and streams.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Handline Fishing

Re: Canal in Northern Singapore

Post by Kst »

Some new fishes for me from a canal in western Singapore. As I started fishing after a shower, bite rate was low even though I could see a lot of fishes.

This is a common catfish.

This is a jaguar cichlid.

Both fishes were released but the catfish was injured while I was unhooking it. Hope it will recover.

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

what bait and method did you use for the catfish?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Nice walking catfish, I've haven't caught that in a while. It helps to have a longnose pliers with you especially when you're expecting a catfish. You can remove the hook safely and release them as quickly as possible. Nice catch, I'm still not too sure of that cichlid that looked like the Mayan though.

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by patrick2405 »

Peace wrote:Nice walking catfish, I've haven't caught that in a while. It helps to have a longnose pliers with you especially when you're expecting a catfish. You can remove the hook safely and release them as quickly as possible. Nice catch, I'm still not too sure of that cichlid that looked like the Mayan though.
hmm then will circle hooks work with them?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes it will work, but if the line has too much freeplay they might end up gut-hooked as well. That's my experience so far.

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

patrick2405 wrote:what bait and method did you use for the catfish?
that was with bread and bottom rig. they are quite common in canals i think, cause my friends and I have caught quite a few
Peace wrote:Nice walking catfish, I've haven't caught that in a while. It helps to have a longnose pliers with you especially when you're expecting a catfish. You can remove the hook safely and release them as quickly as possible. Nice catch, I'm still not too sure of that cichlid that looked like the Mayan though.
been wanting to buy one but can't find cheap ones. haha i caught a pretty big one recently. posting it below!

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

I've been busy so didn't post here much, I just spent all my free time fishing. Here's some update!

My friend and I went over to the canal near zouk since we heard there's some interesting fishes there but I didn't catch anything except mayan cichlids. My friend caught a big catfish though!

On another day, we went to another canal in northern Singapore and caught the following. We've been to quite a few canals and this one seem to have some fishes we've never seen before.

The following should be some red devil cichlids. Thanks to the generous souls who's been releasing fishes so that I can play with them :p

These are some monk head cichlids

Just as we were leaving, I hooked up something really heavy. Since we were there to play with the small fishes, I only brought a 12lb line. After I managed to pull it out of water, I couldn't pull it up. After some splashing, the fish freed itself. Motivated, we went home for better gears and camped there the whole night but nothing big came up. We went there the next weekend hopping to catch something we've never caught before and guess what we got...

CATFISH!!!! =\

A bit of fight but this time we were more prepared. Lucky catfish saw some trees and some stars and went back into the water.

Some other fishes we caught there

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

Congratz! :D
That cats huge!t would be hard to handle, even on handline!
Although i do go canal fishing, i still prefer the sea. :nod:
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

weaver
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure Fishing,offshore fishing and prawning

Post by weaver »

nice catfish and the cichlids where you guys fish?i mean where the canal i want to go there and have a look myself

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Wow, that's quite a few interesting species of cichlids. Makes you wonder what other species hobbyists has released into the canal. Nice catch on the big catfish, did you catch it on the same setup you use for the cichlids?

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

limfish wrote:Congratz! :D
That cats huge!t would be hard to handle, even on handline!
Although i do go canal fishing, i still prefer the sea. :nod:
I like the sea too. just not many accessible spots for handlining :( haha the catfish was actually okay on a 40lbs mono line. previously I used 12lbs mono and couldn't pull it out lol
weaver wrote:nice catfish and the cichlids where you guys fish?i mean where the canal i want to go there and have a look myself
Its actually at a canal which fishing is not allowed so I can't tell you but I think "stomper ben" can tell you because he "was stunned" by the fishes. Isn't it amazing technology is so good nowadays search engines can tell you everything? :lol:
Peace wrote:Wow, that's quite a few interesting species of cichlids. Makes you wonder what other species hobbyists has released into the canal. Nice catch on the big catfish, did you catch it on the same setup you use for the cichlids?
the big catfish gave us a few sleepless nights before we found out its true identity.. so after we caught it, we made sure we touched him all over and over and over before releasing it back hoping to catch it again. yup. just simple 40lbs mono line, small hook (size 9 I think, still not very sure of the sizing terms) and bread. :yay:

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by patrick2405 »

the 2nd last pic looks like a peacock-jaguar hybrid :confused:

weaver
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure Fishing,offshore fishing and prawning

Post by weaver »

oh i see cannot catch there one ok then i will drop the subject.. :p
but nice fishes you have caught can put into your aquarium the fishes are beautiful ;)

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

patrick2405 wrote:the 2nd last pic looks like a peacock-jaguar hybrid :confused:
really? hmm. I'll try catch a few more of that and give you more pics to look at :nod:
weaver wrote:oh i see cannot catch there one ok then i will drop the subject.. :p
but nice fishes you have caught can put into your aquarium the fishes are beautiful ;)
hahhaaa i got give u hint you nv get ah... try google the quoted sentence!

anyway, was in town today and brought my handline along. hooked up a seriously big walking catfish which was almost an arm's length! felt my 40lbs line stretching to the max. but didnt manage to hook it up. just curious if its really a walking catfish as its tail and mouth were bright red