Canal in Northern Singapore

Fishing reports primary from freshwater reservoirs, lakes and streams.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Handline Fishing

Canal in Northern Singapore

Post by Kst »

I have checked, on one end this canal has a freshwater source and on the other end it leads to the sea and is affected by tides. I do catch and release with handline and bait. Previously, my friend and I has caught 1 grouper and 1 golden flathead goby there. Since I woke up early today, I decided to try my luck there even though it just rained. The links below shows 2 fishes I caught today despite many bites.

This is probably a golden flathead goby.

I think this is a Mayan Cichlid but I can't be sure even though it sure looks like one to me, this canal is primarily saltwater.

I have decided to post this as I regularly handline in various canals, so I will post my future catches here for people who might be interested. (:

EDIT: Uploaded the pictures using photobucket. Was lazy to read the instructions so I did trial and error. didnt know its so user-friendly! lol
Last edited by Kst on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Re: Canal in Northern Singapore

Post by Vidic »

Hi kst, u are gladly welcome to post your catches here ~ Perhaps u might want to get a photobucket account and upload your pictures to display them here. The catch report will be nicer :p also u might want to share the surrounding u are fishing in?,(if u dont mind, i'm just curious with all the various type of canal in Singapore looks like and where are they, heh) otherwise its fine :D
anyway, Nice catches there ! :cool:
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yeah, I think that's a Mayan Cichlid too. These freshwater streams that leads to the sea can be quite interesting to fish in. Such streams are once habitat of the Giant Freshwater Prawns, I think they're locally extinct now. While they live in freshwater, they need to release their eggs into the sea. (or was it the other way round?) I have ever caught wild Giant Freshwater Prawn before, but that was long time ago in Molly Stream. :shh:

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

Hello Vidic! Signed up photobucket and yes! my CR does look nicer now lol. As for this canal, I can't share as I think its overfished. Always see foreign workers throwing net and bringing back the fishes to eat. Even though I do CNR, I'm quite scared others will tabao the fishes there then there goes the playground so near to my house :P but I'll share the rest I promise :pinocchio:

Hey Peace, yah really, the canals never fail to surprise my friends and I. We caught more fishes in the afternoon just now, gonna share it in another post! I wonder how is it like catching a prawn? I know prawning is a popular past time but it has never crossed my mind as I really don't like prawns.. they look like aliens to me.. haha. Is it as exciting as fishing? Oh. I did see a crab too at the northern canal.. but it wasnt interested in my bait and I failed to drag it up with my sinker. Ah.. fascinating canals!

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

Okay, so here are more pictures with location as promised. ;)

This time, we fished in the big canal in Whampoa which I think should be part of the Kallang river. If anyone is interested, its near the Serangoon Broadway studios. The cichlids there are on free flow 24/7. I know they are introduced species and probably you shouldn't CNR but please don't kill them for nothing! As for my friends and I, we usually do CNR except for me who sacrifices 1 or 2 small ones as bait fishes. So here are some of the more interesting catches today!

I think this is a nile tilapia, first time we caught this here. Maybe they are not as abundant as the mayan cichlids in this canal so please be kind to them!

This shows how small some of the fishes are. Still, they put up a decent fight if you consider their sizes and if you're using handlines.

Even though we catch fishes with this pattern quite frequently, this particular cichlid seemed really short. For the south park fans, does it remind you of anyone?

Not really sure what fish is this but definitely a kind of cichlid. Will check it out and update asap!

That's about it for today! More to come tomorrow! Remember, be kind to the fishes!

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

hmm it is somehow rare to find a canal that is overrun by mayans instead of nile tilapias :shocked: or is it that you only fished part of the canal? usually nile tilapias are more abundant in canals....i think :x

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That canal seems like home to many species of cichlids, I'm not even sure which are they aside from the first one. The round one is definitely cute, not eric cartman cute though. :lol: And yes, we shouldn't be killing fishes for no good reason. They are living creatures too.

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

patrick2405 wrote:hmm it is somehow rare to find a canal that is overrun by mayans instead of nile tilapias :shocked: or is it that you only fished part of the canal? usually nile tilapias are more abundant in canals....i think :x
which canal do you find more nile tilapia?? share share :o i've been wanting to tabao 1 fish back for my mum but so far still don't have the heart to. if there's somewhere with a lot of nile tilapia maybe I would :P
Peace wrote:That canal seems like home to many species of cichlids, I'm not even sure which are they aside from the first one. The round one is definitely cute, not eric cartman cute though. :lol: And yes, we shouldn't be killing fishes for no good reason. They are living creatures too.
heh. I heard its like that over at clark quay too. and was it you who mentioned rochor canal too? maybe I'll find a day to try clark quay, can attract babes with my catches :P oh come on eric cartman is so adorable lol

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

hmm but if bringing nile tilapia back i suggest you fish in clear conditions.... you wouldn't want a fish from the longkang which has lots of rubbish on your table right? probably could try some places where it leads to cleaner spots e.g reservoir? my choice would be to fry it lol about the size as market kuning can le

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

patrick2405 wrote:hmm but if bringing nile tilapia back i suggest you fish in clear conditions.... you wouldn't want a fish from the longkang which has lots of rubbish on your table right? probably could try some places where it leads to cleaner spots e.g reservoir? my choice would be to fry it lol about the size as market kuning can le
so far I've only been experimenting with handline + bait but bait's not allowed in reservoir right? heh. maybe if i catch a lot (>8?) in a canal and it looks clean I will just bring one back. if not its fine too. thanks for the cooking suggestion :D

Anyway, recently I went back to my usual hangout (northern sg canal) and many people were fishing there. There were 3 groups of PRC, an old Chinese couple and 1 Indian family. Nothing racist but the Indian family caught ~5 gobies, all very small and they packed them home... there goes my little playground :cry:

I'm thinking of heading over to Kallang MRT tomorrow to fish in the canal there. Hopefully I'll get something interesting, take a picture and I'll release it back into the water. :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yeah, organic baits are not allowed in reservoirs so that really limits what you can fish with. The canal besides Kallang MRT was a good spot. Plenty of mullets and chromides there in the past, not sure how it is now since the construction of the barrage. You should know that the canal is connected to the reservoir. ;)

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

I didn't manage to fish there because the storm beat me to it. Maybe I'll try next time where there's no no-fishing sign. :pinocchio:

However, I waited until the storm was over and went to my favourite mayan canal. The bite rate was really bad, possibly due to the storm earlier on but my first catch was something slightly different. After some online research, I think the pattern on it resembles a Convict Cichlid but its fins were different, so I have no idea what it is after all.

To highlight the contrast, the photographs below show the usual Mayan Cichlids I catch in this canal.

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

New fish to the list, also from a canal in northern Singapore, which I believe might be a red devil cichlid!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Hmm, this one looks a little different. It seems to have more distinct vertical bars than the typical mayan cichlid. The red one is rather beautiful, it'll look nice in a tank.

Kst
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Kst »

yea, I like both new catches. maybe I'll get my own tank soon and store all the interesting fishes :P any idea what the fish with distinct black lines might be?