The One That Got away

Fishing reports primary from freshwater reservoirs, lakes and streams.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

The One That Got away

Post by Kishore »

Gents,
Just acouple of pictures i took during the weekend.The Toman weighted 2 kgs.It was caught using size 2/0 Mustad hooks.
Main line is 20lbs braided and the leader 40 lbs steel with black insulation.not to mention the bait was live catfish with
2 hooks on its back.
The reel is a Shimano 4000D BaitRunner and the Rod a Xzoga Genbu 6.6,2 pc rod.
P.S.....Before i released the Toman back into the water,i told the Toman......LIVE SO THAT WE CAN FIGHT ANOTHER DAY.
kishore

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Re: The One That Got away

Post by Vidic »

Nice catch there Kishore, live catfish seems irresistible for tomans yeah ? :D
I always like catch and release, although it might sounds cruel to some who doesnt likes CNR, i would always believe releasing smaller ones will give u bigger catch one day :eyebrow: Hope it lives and grow to a monster !
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Nice catch on the Toman. You mentioned using 2/0 hooks, were you using small catfish or is it also suitable for larger catfish also?

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Post by Kishore »

Peace wrote:Nice catch on the Toman. You mentioned using 2/0 hooks, were you using small catfish or is it also suitable for larger catfish also?
Peace,
I took your advice on trying out different type of main lines and different sized hooks.I have tried hooks from size 2/0 to
7/0.Circle and long shank hooks.Main line from 15lbs braided to 40 lbs braided. Live Catfish from 6ins to 12 ins long.Tried with 1 and 2 hooks on the Catfish's back.
After many encounters,i found that the best set-up is,size 2/0 hooks(standard),with 20 lbs braided main line.Live Catfish with 2 hooks on its back.If the Catfish is 6 ins long the 2 hooks will be one inch apart.The longer the Catfish the further apart the 2 hooks will be.
Kishore

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Ah I see, thanks for sharing your findings on baiting the catfish. I usually see baiting anglers going for bigger hooks for larger catfishes.