My 1st Toman on Lure

Fishing reports primary from freshwater reservoirs, lakes and streams.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

My 1st Toman on Lure

Post by Kishore »

Usually when i am fishing for Tomans,i use live catfish as bait and the rod is resting on the stand.The reel is a shimano baitrunner.
This Morning While waiting for the Toman to bite i used a lighter rod to do some precision casting without hooks,just a sinker. When i was doing the precision casting i saw a big school of Toman fries coming towards me.Removed the sinker and
hooked on the pencil without a leader.Cast into school and twitched,bang and fish on.
Rod is a SeaHawk,CamoScorpion,line weight 10 to 18 lbs,length 5ft 6ins.Reel is a Abu Garcia Cardinal 801 with 20 lbs braid.
About 15 seconds after fish on,there was no resistance in retrieving my lure.I thought i lost it.Then it was fish on again.Landed the fish and to my horror the whole back of the lure was bitten off.The way i see it ,when the 1st fish on,that Toman bit off the whole back treble hook,then came another Toman and bit the centre of the lure.
Weight of Toman,8 kgs,Length 32ins or 2ft 8ins.

pyl
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Re: My 1st Toman on Lure

Post by pyl »

that is one big mama

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

That's a big fat toman indeed. Yeah it's probably two separate Tomans that took turns to hit your lure, both are probably just as big for it to bite off the treble whole. Congrats on landing the Toman. :)

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by Kishore »

Peace wrote:That's a big fat toman indeed. Yeah it's probably two separate Tomans that took turns to hit your lure, both are probably just as big for it to bite off the treble whole. Congrats on landing the Toman. :)
For the record.Just before i released the Toman back into the water,i pried open its mouth.The lower lip with a Boga
and the upper lip with a long nose pliers. With its mouth wide open i looked as far down its belly as possible to see if the
treble hooks were there.Could not see it.That way i confirmed that my lure was hit by Two Tomans.First Toman hit the lure and
bit off the treble hooks and the second Toman hit seconds later and bit in the centre of the Lure.

DMCY
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Any type

Post by DMCY »

Nice fish, I wish i could catch a biggie like that.

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by Kishore »

DMCY wrote:Nice fish, I wish i could catch a biggie like that.
Careful what you wish for.You just might get it.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

my experience: this size usually comes in pair. :D
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by Kishore »

sgpu wrote:my experience: this size usually comes in pair. :D
I agree with you that this size comes in a pair.The odds of Two Tomans hitting the same lure one after another on the same cast is extremely rare.

DMCY
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Any type

Post by DMCY »

Kishore wrote:
DMCY wrote:Nice fish, I wish i could catch a biggie like that.
Careful what you wish for.You just might get it.
thats wat i want :D

ProSnip
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Offshore fishing,lake fishing,lures fishing

Post by ProSnip »

How many lbs lines should I use for fishing toman@snakehead :sweatdrop:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

It depends on fishing spot itself, places with thick cover where fish can dash in will require you to use heavier setups. If it's an easy open place that you won't easily get snagged, 15lbs main line is plenty. If you're live baiting, you should have enough line for the fish to take while it swallows the bait. Leader lines have to be heavy if you're using live baits, wire leaders can be used as well. If you're using lure, 30lbs FC leader is usually sufficient.

Welcome to HLF, ProSnip. :)

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

Kishore wrote:
I agree with you that this size comes in a pair.The odds of Two Tomans hitting the same lure one after another on the same cast is extremely rare.
unless the fry and daddy are following the mama when it got hooked, and when the hook came off the daddy came to whack because the fry are still around and they are afraid the lure would harm the babies :eyebrow:

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by Kishore »

patrick2405 wrote:
Kishore wrote:
unless the fry and daddy are following the mama when it got hooked, and when the hook came off the daddy came to whack because the fry are still around and they are afraid the lure would harm the babies :eyebrow:
As we are all aware the above lure is missing the rear treble hooks.I drilled a small hole at the end and attached a treble
hook on a split ring.(modification not approved by manufacturer) When i cast into Toman fries, i only land Fries,sometimes up to 6 fries one after another.Whatever happened to the Mamas and Papas?(no reference to the music band)
What i would like to ask you is,which theory or equation did you use to come up with your above findings?
P.S...Hook did not come off,Hook was Bitten off.

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

[/quote]unless the fry and daddy are following the mama when it got hooked, and when the hook came off the daddy came to whack because the fry are still around and they are afraid the lure would harm the babies :eyebrow:[/quote]

As we are all aware the above lure is missing the rear treble hooks.I drilled a small hole at the end and attached a treble
hook on a split ring.(modification not approved by manufacturer) When i cast into Toman fries, i only land Fries,sometimes up to 6 fries one after another.Whatever happened to the Mamas and Papas?(no reference to the music band)
What i would like to ask you is,which theory or equation did you use to come up with your above findings?
P.S...Hook did not come off,Hook was Bitten off.[/quote]

when you land fries, usually they are of good size enough that sometimes they do not have parents around as they are able to survive independently or parents kena tapao etc. i assume you havent seen toman fries with parents before?

and for you to question my observations where the other parent hit the same lure, this photo might answer your question :)