1st Fish On A Fly Rod

Fishing reports primary from freshwater reservoirs, lakes and streams.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

1st Fish On A Fly Rod

Post by Kishore »

That was the 1st fish i caught after nearly 2 months of using the Fly Rod.When i received the Combo,it came with
a 5 wt rod and 5 wt fly line on the reel(complete with Dacron backing).I felt very uncomfortable casting with a 5 wt fly line.I bought another reel this time with a 6 wt line(you could always buy a spare spool and reel in 6 wt line.When i checked the price of a spare spool and a new reel,there was not much of a difference so i bought another reel).The combination of a 5 wt(9ft) rod and a 6 wt fly line worked perfectly.
I must say that it takes a lot of patience to learn how to cast out the fly not to mention you will have to get somebody to
teach you.The reason being while you are casting you cannot see what you are doing wrong.If you have an experienced fly
caster beside you he or she can tell you if you are not moving the rod from forward to backwards in a straight line and if you
don't maintain a 2 and 10 ' 0 ' clock movement.

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Re: 1st Fish On A Fly Rod

Post by Streetmonkey »

Congra!!! Alway wanted to try fly fishinh... but duno how lol

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yeah, I'd like to try it too but somehow never got to really do it. :P I reckon it does take a lot of practice to cast effectively in different wind conditions and places with obstacles. Congrats on your first fly catch, Kishore! :rootbeer:

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by Kishore »

I would like to say a few words about Fly Fishing.I find that it is a great way to fish.(after you have mastered the way to cast well)During the 1st few days after i received the combo my casting was very frustrating.I was blessed to have a great guy to teach me casting.The feeling of casting out the fly and slowly stripping the line and when the fish bites,strip the line back or let the fish run until all slack is taken up by the fish and then fight the fish on the reel is really breathtaking.
Last edited by Kishore on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by Kishore »

This Peacock Bass was caught today using the Fly made by Bro Ping.

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Spin Fly

Post by ping »

Power lah bro kishore! You are way ahead of me landing a fish on fly fishing already. I am still spinning fly heehee. Will switch to fly fishing soon.. hopefully :)