Ulu Pandan Canal CR

Fishing reports primary from freshwater reservoirs, lakes and streams.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Ulu Pandan Canal CR

Post by murasame »

Went down to ulu pandan canal after school today, only brought along a cheap pen rod from amazon
Found nice spot under a bridge and sheltered frm the rain which just started when I reached. Actually wanted to try some ul lures and flies because there were many tilapias/whatever cichlids on the water surface, but when rain got heavier had to hide under the bridge again, so switched to prawn meat on small hook. Casted into the middle and waited for a while, was about to bring the bait back when there was a violent take! Quite a struggle to bring the fish up because I only had 5m of. 8lbs mono, crappy 1kg of drag and a flimsy rod, but after maybe 2mins i brought the fish up
http://imgur.com/f9QZ7Pt
^2nd Biggest walking cat so far!
After that fish the catches were all smallies like red devils and some other cichlids because i snagged my bigger hook and was too lazy to retie so just used some sabikis with prawn bits
http://imgur.com/RnDr521
^biggest red devil today
http://m.imgur.com/JoDH8Sp
^biggest tilapia today
http://m.imgur.com/ne7Jq1o
^baby jaguar?
http://m.imgur.com/KAKORCT
^small cat
After landing 20+ of these cichlids I got bored and went to search for jaguars... Went under the rail bridge but didnt get anything
Even went to the far side of the canal near the road, where water was pouring in after the rain, the current was pretty strong so i doubted there would be fish. But still tried out anyway because i would always see people fishing there, ended up with nothing but some huge plastic bag that got swept onto my hook :rant:
Some shots, even saw a stork or smth wading by the side
http://m.imgur.com/PlAVqU7
^deck is quite far from the water, probably not good for lures, maybe jigs are ok
http://m.imgur.com/Atr6IeY
^pretty strong current, could see some big fish being swept around
http://m.imgur.com/3quyvrI
^mass of leaves and litter like plastic bags just under the deck, probably swept by the waters from the rain
http://m.imgur.com/YvQv2Xo
^stork? heron?

All in all quite a nice day, happy to see that big cats still lurk in the waters despite the catch and keep foreign workers (did see a nice worker today, released all the smaller catch and only went back with a medium sized catfish :thumbsup: )
If anyone knows where the jaguars/haruans are hiding pls share, Im a bit tired of the cichlids hehe :D
Blur sotong :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Ulu Pandan Canal CR

Post by Peace »

That's a lot of fishes you've caught there and congrats on landing a big cat, and a very fat one too! The canal probably holds more species of fish, especially Cichlids.
Yeap, that's a Jaguar Cichlid. It seems you're quite fond of this Cichlid. ;)

The bird should be a grey heron, it's pretty smart to stay in the the sheltered part of the canal where there's little current, that's where the fishes are.

Thanks for sharing this interesting catch report with us.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

Np! I always thought this canal would have many secrets since it stretches quite far, heard of pb, arowana, haruan, carp, and even toman
Probably going to revisit the area with strong current on a drier day with more line on my spool haha
But first, need to upgrade my tele rod, this one has a really small reel seat so it cant be used with other reels. The rod itself is nice but the only reel it can be used with is starting to break down :(
Any recommendations for UL tele rods?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I don't use many telescopic rods, but I had an ofmer ultralight that was pretty decent and compact. I think Hong Guan carries quite a few variety of telescopic rods, or at least they did last time.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

Ok will check it out :)

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Hey I used to fish here all the time after school a few years back!! Have caught tomans and even carp here before, the canal has many treasures :p I still stay nearby, maybe you can invite me on your next fishing trip here?
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

Sure! We can share experience or smth haha

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

Headed down for another impromptu session at the canal again before tuition (super rushed so sorry for not calling you gohyuheng :confused: )
It had just rained heavily and I suspect all the fishes got washed down with the heavy current... My previous spot was all eroded, the weeds which sheltered the fish were swept off the banks. I tried the spot for a while with some bread (had no prawns for the cats) but didnt get anything
I moved to a spot a little further down at the railway bridge, the current was slower but the bites were just as bad.
Rushed off to tuition which was nearby

~2 hours later~

Decided to try my luck again at the same spot right after tuition, casted few feet from the canal wall and there was a big bite on my bread lump! A cichlid was actually pulling drag which was a miracle for me even on my crappy pen reel :lol:
Turned out it was one of these guys, some kind of hybrid i think
Next cast, weaker fight
Everything after those

Not bad for a short random session I guess, I MAY return tomorrow after tuition again :p

Ps how do I make my images appear directly instead of just a link?
Last edited by murasame on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That'll make a fine stress reliever after a tuition session, good catch there. :cool:

To make the image appear in your post, copy the code that is generated by imgur right after you uploaded the image. (as seen below). Paste that code in your post and it's done.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

It works! Thx
I dont think ill be able to change all my old posts though so troublesome on mobile haha

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

A word of caution, images without an account at imgur might get deleted over time. So if you want to keep or organize your catch photos, do register an account with them.

ultrakiasu
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Handline Fishing

Post by ultrakiasu »

Anyone know a good spot for jaguar cichlids?
I managed to catch only 2 fingerling-sized jaguar cichlids in my 5 visit to Ulu pandan canal last 2 month mid 2017.
Many forum and youtube articles (2013-2016) on this local jaguar fishing no longer valid as other prolific breeding species took over.

Now my catches are usually Orange cichlids, zebra tilapia, Lohan hybrids. And Nile tilapia.

I am a diehard fish keeper, and real joy to catch/fish of my desire (jaguar), groom them till they had the dark purplish tint.

If you feel uneasy to reveal secret spot publicly, please PM me.

Thank you.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

ultrakiasu wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:15 pm
Anyone know a good spot for jaguar cichlids?
I managed to catch only 2 fingerling-sized jaguar cichlids in my 5 visit to Ulu pandan canal last 2 month mid 2017.
Many forum and youtube articles (2013-2016) on this local jaguar fishing no longer valid as other prolific breeding species took over.

Now my catches are usually Orange cichlids, zebra tilapia, Lohan hybrids. And Nile tilapia.

I am a diehard fish keeper, and real joy to catch/fish of my desire (jaguar), groom them till they had the dark purplish tint.

If you feel uneasy to reveal secret spot publicly, please PM me.

Thank you.
I've caught 2 at Pandan Reservoir so far on micro grubs, they arent common though so dont expect to get one too quick ;) (you can check out my pandan reservoir cr)