Newbie Christmas Day and Boxing day CR !!!

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Newbie Christmas Day and Boxing day CR !!!

Post by domvonn »

Time : 2345hrs to 0025hrs.* Rain coming so pack and go home*
Eqpt: handline
Bait : Market Prawn
Venue : Sembawang Park Jetty

Caught a flower crab on handline lolz..The carapace size is less than 2 inches.
Nothing impressive but i caught something hehhe

Pic:Image

Crab released.

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

:nod: Good try domvonn.

My 1st fish was a good size kukut fish. On handline, 1st cast retrieved n hooked up the fish. I was so excited, screaming away to my frend coz I thought it was a grouper :p

Hope u get your target fish soon :grin: Keep trying

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

yeah will try again ...most probably this friday. hehe.

juz to check , do i need to change the handline for my spool ? mine is the Default when i purchase at NTUC, normal fishing lines i suppose, need to change to those stronger types?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Good catch on that flower crab, I'm sure a fish is up next on list next. ;) As for the line, the quality shouldn't matter much so long the thickness or poundage is there. For typical usage, 25-30 lbs handlines are usually sufficient. That's roughly about at least 0.35mm and above thickness for ntuc lines. Remember that the thicker the line, the less sensitivity you get on your end. So reach for a balance according to your usage.

Good luck on your next trip! :) :clover:

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

hehe thanx for the tips...will try tomolo if the sky stop crying le.. :nod:
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

went again yesterday, basically to feed fish sia...i hook a whole prawn and dump into the sea and can feel many bites. small fish all grab my bait ,
think is helicopter fish. also got a few flower crabs on my handline but when i pull up ..it drop back into the sea.
Though 0 catch, overall its enjoyable!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

The jetty is a little shallow, especially during low tides and there are many small fishes like glassfish and cardinal fishes near the pillars. Those are probably the culprit stealing your bait.

About the flower crab, what I would usually do in your situation to get the crab is to use tamban hook to entangle the crab when it reaches near the surface. Not worth the trouble unless it's a big juicy crab :D

The weather has recently turned for the better, good days ahead for the new year. Keep on fishing! :)

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

Peace wrote:The jetty is a little shallow, especially during low tides and there are many small fishes like glassfish and cardinal fishes near the pillars. Those are probably the culprit stealing your bait.

About the flower crab, what I would usually do in your situation to get the crab is to use tamban hook to entangle the crab when it reaches near the surface. Not worth the trouble unless it's a big juicy crab :D

The weather has recently turned for the better, good days ahead for the new year. Keep on fishing! :)
sembawang park jetty ,cannot be big lolz...well who knows, the sea is limitless. ;)