SAF Yacht Club 16th Feb (Fri)

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

SAF Yacht Club 16th Feb (Fri)

Post by desleyhan »

Iskandar, Ken, Steven, My Wife and Me. We set out to the SAF Yacht Club at 7:00am.

Tide was suppose to turn in at about 10am but unfortunately the Marine Tackle shop do not have any live prawns until 12pm.

Iskandar and Steven had to leave by 12 noon leaving the rest of us to continue fishing there. Even with live prawns, we couldn't get hold of any big catches.

We stayed till 3:30pm. Total catch: 4 small Pufferfish & 1 small Duskytail Grouper (I hope I'm right). All fish were release as they weren't table size.

Image Image
My CNY toy ... Shimano Calcutta 700S & The Beast Master

Gotta learn the Rapalas soon .... saw lots of Trevallies jumping around (as quoted from Steven & Iskandar) without any live prawns ... :mad:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Thanks for sharing your fishing trip today. I think the critical point was the turn of tide when you didn't have any live prawns. Chinese New Year is around the corner, perhaps that's why live prawns are short of supplies these few days.

The tide is receding throughout the afternoon, you could catch the next turn of tide but it would a bit late into the evening.

The grouper you've caught is an orange-spotted grouper. They look very similar to the duskytail and are sometimes hard to differentiate. Duskytails have slight broader body but the distinct characteristic is at its tail.

Dusktail has only top half of its tail spotted while orange-spotted have spots throughout.

Image Image

The SAF Yacht Club Jetty is a really nice and clean place to fish, especially in the night. :) Baiters often caught Chermins there with live prawns during the day. For luring, choose a day where the tide just begin to rise during the early morning. Queenfish often come in during that time, and if schools of baitfish are sighted, the likelyhood is even higher. Lures, spoons and jigs will work.

Good luck on your next trip to SAFYC. :clover:

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

Peace wrote:Thanks for sharing your fishing trip today. I think the critical point was the turn of tide when you didn't have any live prawns. Chinese New Year is around the corner, perhaps that's why live prawns are short of supplies these few days.

The tide is receding throughout the afternoon, you could catch the next turn of tide but it would a bit late into the evening.

The grouper you've caught is an orange-spotted grouper. They look very similar to the duskytail and are sometimes hard to differentiate. Duskytails have slight broader body but the distinct characteristic is at its tail.

Dusktail has only top half of its tail spotted while orange-spotted have spots throughout.

Image Image

The SAF Yacht Club Jetty is a really nice and clean place to fish, especially in the night. :) Baiters often caught Chermins there with live prawns during the day. For luring, choose a day where the tide just begin to rise during the early morning. Queenfish often come in during that time, and if schools of baitfish are sighted, the likelyhood is even higher. Lures, spoons and jigs will work.

Good luck on your next trip to SAFYC. :clover:
Thanks for the tips Peace ... will learn luring next!

Cheers

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

If you want to learn more about luring, do visit fishingnewsroom for information, they have very good lurers there who can guide you. :)