casting net

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

casting net

Post by domvonn »

went for a short session today at Sembawang...

No prawns :(
swa jiam x 4. in my fridge le.
cuttlefish x 1 quite ok size , in my fridge le.
flower crabs x 3, in my tank now. many small ones released.
leaf porter crab x 2 . released of course!
ang zho x 1 , small about 4-5 inches only,in my tank now.
A few small fish plus a ultra tiny flathead and some silvery like pomfret, released.
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: casting net

Post by Peace »

Where were you casting at Sembawang? I think you are likely to find prawns at the beach beside the canal mouth, just behind the bottle tree village. But it's a long walk there from the park.

The swa jiam can keep till you get more of them to make up a nice snack ;) Hey, you should have brought the leaf porter crab home to keep in your tank! Do they make good pets? Take some pics of the fishes in your tank and share with us when you have the time okay? :grin:

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

i cast near the jetty there...haha..yeah was thinking to use the swa jiam as bait. canal side can easy walk down mah ?
leaf porter crab i dunno to feed wat ehhh better dun bring home hahha.
tank water not clear cannot shoot now.

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

domvonn wrote:went for a short session today at Sembawang...

A few small fish plus a ultra tiny flathead and some silvery like pomfret, released.
I heard from the lao chiaos that prawns netted from a particular area and used immediately for bait always receives the most enquiries from the fishes there. As the prawns caught have already adapted the enviroment or surroundings which is definitely more appealling to the fishes from that area. :nod:

Live prawns bought somewhere else might not be that attractive to the fishes than the ones caught there. :p

Any thoughts on this? :raincloud:

Btw, I should learn some net casting from you dom. So as to use those live prawns as baits. :)
Last edited by desleyhan on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I believe there's certain extent of truth in it. It probably applies to fish that lurk or hunt in that specific area. The fish somehow has grown accustomed to the species of prey(prawns) in that area which they will take readily without suspicion.

Perhaps the most typical fish that returns to hunt in the same place would be barramundis and probably groupers; but groupers are too greedy to miss out on anything. :lol: You probably won't gain extra advantage on fishes that are always on the move like trevallies, although some of species do linger closer inshore seasonally when certain species of prawns come in to spawn.

Knowing how to cast net is always big plus. We may not even have to buy/bring bait to the fishing ground if the baits can be caught there consistently. Plus, it can save us some money. :grin:

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

Peace wrote:I believe there's certain extent of truth in it. It probably applies to fish that lurk or hunt in that specific area. The fish somehow has grown accustomed to the species of prey(prawns) in that area which they will take readily without suspicion.

Perhaps the most typical fish that returns to hunt in the same place would be barramundis and probably groupers; but groupers are too greedy to miss out on anything. :lol: You probably won't gain extra advantage on fishes that are always on the move like trevallies, although some of species do linger closer inshore seasonally when certain species of prawns come in to spawn.

Knowing how to cast net is always big plus. We may not even have to buy/bring bait to the fishing ground if the baits can be caught there consistently. Plus, it can save us some money. :grin:
No way, Peace ... I'm the Kiasu type ... I'm still bringing some slice sotong just in case I don't net any baits :lol:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Haha, there's nothing wrong with bringing extra bait. I do that all the time as well; most of us don't get to fish every often and it would be silly to run out of bait when you do. :p

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

desleyhan wrote:
domvonn wrote:went for a short session today at Sembawang...

Btw, I should learn some net casting from you dom. So as to use those live prawns as baits. :)
i still newbie and also learning,not qualified to teach yet.once i master the art then i share with you all how . :lol: