CR Changi Boardwalk 03-03-2007

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

CR Changi Boardwalk 03-03-2007

Post by desleyhan »

I have been trying to understand the Full & New Moon Impact on Tides.

http://www.lake-link.com/anglers/moontimes/

The above website shows that the 3rd Mar is supposingly a productive day for fishing. Not only does fishes move inshore for a feeding-fenzy, some fishes would even take this nite to breed.

So i bought some sea worms and live prawns and set out for Changi Boardwalk.

But caught only the below, staying from 12am to 4am.
ImageImage
What fish are these by the way? The one on the right should be from the Snapper family.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: CR Changi Boardwalk 03-03-2007

Post by Peace »

Understanding tides and current for fishing shouldn't soley base just on some tabulated dates. Look at it as a generic formula on how fish are likely to react during certain days. The fact is that it doesn't always apply or seem true to people is because there are many many more factors that attribute to our catch at the end of the day.

It is important to note that given the same tide and current, the results can vary greatly from spots to spots. Even same species of fishes can differ in habits and behavior at different spots due to the nature of the spot itself (survivability). Example like, cautiousness, how choosy they are with bait, and time and length of feeding window differs.

Current is the outcome of the effects of tidal changes, and affects more directly to the fish than tide itself. The change in current can act like a clock to the fish, hinting them to favourable times to feed. Spring tides have huge tidal(current movements) that encourage water to circulate at a wider scale, and bring them closer to shore. A lot of fishes and other sea organism need to breed their young close to shore where inland water habitat provide food for them.

It's a good strategy with to follow the table if we had nothing to start with or is unfamiliar with the spot. The answer you seek lies with experience in the spot itself(sorry :p). The fishes at each spot may react differently to the tide. You have to study the date and timing, and more importantly how fast/direction the current flows. This can affect where the fish will likely be, even with a given specific spot with cover where the fishes usually might be.

(I probably will write something on this to elaborate on this further. ;))

I must say it's not bad catch at all in 4 short hours, I would be very happy to go home with that painted sweetlips(kaci) you have. The other smaller fish belongs to the cardinalfish family. I don't have that particular species on my site unfortunately. :( I haven't actually seen that species before. Nice find!

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

Thanks for the info Peace.

The sweetlips was on my dinner table today and it tastes just as sweet.

I steamed it Teochew style - salted veg, tomatoes, mushrooms ...etc

stevenseow
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by stevenseow »

Nice sweetlip you caught. :thumbsup:
Fishing Is For Relax