CR: New Year fishing

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

CR: New Year fishing

Post by Peace »

Eager for a first trip for the new year, a friend and I planned a trip to Changi to try out some new places to fish. We got to Changi beach in the morning after breakfast and buying prawns at Changi village. At first look the water looks perfect as the tide is steadily rising, but very soon we were greeted by drifting casualties from the plankton bloom along the coast. I saw quite a few different fishes, including groupers, snappers, scat, cobia and some decomposed beyond identification. Looks like the east side fishes really took a toll for the new year.

We stayed and fished anyway, the water is pretty shallow with lots of small fishes nibbling on our live prawns. I switched to small hooks with prawn meat to see what fishes they were. It didn't take long before we fish up those greedy little fishes, but what really made us pack up was the arrival of the swarm of striped eeltail catfish. :lol: The tide has started to ebb anyway, so we moved to a new place to fish instead.

After visiting some spots in the east, it was apparent that it was too crowded for us to squeeze in. We're left with no choice but to go Bedok Jetty. At the same time, we lured out fisher to fish with us bluffing we've caught a lot of fish. :shh: It's pretty crowded there as well but there were surely still space for us to fish. Tambans were scarce at the time, many of the anglers had already given up jigging it. No results from using live prawns either, so I switched to playing small hooks to see if I can catch small fishes to use as bait.

It was pretty much the same throughout the evening and into the night. Tua Baks can be caught as night falls, fisher used them for his surf but nothing hit his line as well. We reluctantly pack up as we approach the last hour of New Year's Day. :o

woofie
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Re: CR: New Year fishing

Post by woofie »

Good start for the new year... playing small fishes can be quite fun too.

WSismylife
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: spinning,learning luring

Post by WSismylife »

wah peace finally fishing at the east side.haha.u came at the wrong time though with all the plankton bloom thingy.

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

hehe ... your first cr of 2010 ... ended with a zero just like 2010 ::x:
die die got to catch something ... helicopter also gum ah ? :lol:

Don't worry ... after 0 is 1 liao ... good luck for your next trip. :clover:

Sad for the plankton incident ... it's not affecting fish farm in the west.
Let's hope it will not further affect more fishes ...
sad to see so many dead fishes floating here n there.

Anyway ... that's a nice way to begin the year with ... go fishing.
I went close to the sea too ... but we were swimming with Scott. :D

Happy fishing and tight lines everyone. :fish: :clover: :fish2:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Thanks for the replies, the fishes aren't really biting but we still had fun. The Changi Beach Park had a pretty shady spot and I was totally comfortable lying there doing nothing. :D You guys should start heading out to the beaches too! (Fishing that is... ;))