Queenfish on handline

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Queenfish on handline

Post by Peace »

I went back to my fishing hole after a long break, sadly all my colourful fishes not around. :( Lots of 'tiny toons' keep stealing my bait and I don't have much bait with me. Then I hook up a sand perch and suddenly from nowhere a queenfish came up and snapped the sand perch when it reaches the surface.

I got back the injured sandperch and quicky setup it up on a floating rig. But the queenfish never came back to take it. Poor sandperch, suffered so much trauma and got used as bait by me. :sweatdrop: :rose:

I start jigging for tambans but there just aren't any around. After some persistent jigging I finally caught a kunning to replace the sandperch. After waiting for about an hour, the queenfish strikes again. I was watching the float as it takes a short dive and comes back up. I thought it was the kunning but the second dive send me grabbing for my line. :D

Against my 30 lbs handline, the queenfish didn't stand a chance. The fish was up in a minute, weighing 2.4kg. Unfortunately, the queenie was gut hooked. It was pretty deep and it is dying fast from the heat. I decided to cut the line and release it back. I hope the fish will be okay.

Also, I caught a very small and cute chocolate hind today. It would have look really nice in a tank.

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

good catch there.. but i think the %tage of the Queen survival is quite low. :(
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

domvonn wrote:good catch there.. but i think the %tage of the Queen survival is quite low. :(
Yep, that is quite true. Usually, I would give the fish to other anglers around if they wanted it. But alas, there was no one on sight. I just have to hope the best for the fish. :clover:

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

good catch ... haven't caught a Queenie myself ... yet to try one.

Must have been lots of fun :thumbsup:

stevenseow
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by stevenseow »

Woh Queenie on handline must be very strong fight. :thumbsup:
Fishing Is For Relax

East Addict
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by East Addict »

I believe queenies are kinda hard to nab on handline due to the fact that they can jump to throw the hook and are pretty fast for their size. Thus, the discerning angler should be able to keep his line taut at all times when fighting queenfish to prevent dislodgment of the hook. Kudos to you for nabbing the pesky bait-basher. But if the fish is gut-hooked, I don't think you should have released it...it would most probably die and you would have just prolonged its suffering. On a lighter note,2.4kg is a rather respectable weight for a queenie. Keep up the great catches! :lol:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yea, thinking back I should have released the queenie back. But the circumstance I was in led me into releasing it. :( Yes, the line must be taut when queenfish do a jump because they shake their head when in the air causing a lot of stress to the line as well as flinging the hook off.

It's cool fighting it with handline though it will be more challenging on a lighter line. I was using a 30lbs bird ship brand line there so no line burn for me. :lol:

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

nice queenie u got there..... :thumbsup:
An Ordinary BoY FiSHiNG ALL RoUnD SiNGaPORe

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by desleyhan »

Nice Queenie, I have yet to land a Queenie myself ...

only get to witness my wife hook the Queenie up on the last offshore ...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You will get them eventually, they're pretty common in Changi waters too. Hope your first queenfish will be a big one ;)

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by desleyhan »

Peace wrote:You will get them eventually, they're pretty common in Changi waters too. Hope your first queenfish will be a big one ;)
lol ... thanks for the luck ... my first queenie shall be a BIG ONE! :lol:

kimchew
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by kimchew »

Good catch

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

kimchew wrote:Good catch
Welcome on board kimchew :D u r lucky number 88 ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hope u find this forum informative n interesting. :yay: do share with us your catches :nod:

gonefishin
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by gonefishin »

Yup Queenie is too ferocious usually fight real hard.. lactic acid buildup and usually it will also tear it's gills... that was what happend to mine.. it's a gone case (bleeding non stop) i took it back and made Fish and Chips... otherwise putting it back is a waste.
Can see it in my blog..(below)
http://fishforfood.blogspot.com
Please practice catch and release. "Remember, if we kill it today we can't catch it tomorrow."