Catch over the weekend

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Catch over the weekend

Post by Peace »

Just to share a Chermin I caught over the weekend using live prawns. I was at the brink of giving up when my rod gave a strong bend :D

Also, a night trip with a friend at Punggol. He caught a Giant Herring, which was the closest thing to an excitement during the night. :lol: Rest of the night was an assortment of small fishes, especially those striped eeltail catfish :mad: stealing our baits.

We hooked up two seapens as well, one of which inhabits up to five white porcelain crabs as well as a starfish.

A night shot of the opposite shore from Punggol.

The morning sunrise. :grin:

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Re: Catch over the weekend

Post by desleyhan »

Peace wrote: Image
Bro how do you spread the fins of the fish to take this beautiful pic?

I have always wanted to take pics like this for all the fishes I caught.
Only manage to take a few which (their fins) opens up on their own.

Do you take the pic right after hooking it up (still alive)?

Or do you have a magical word that'll put in the hypnotic state?

Pls share.

Btw, I have yet to land a Giant Herring myself. Heard its good fight.
Was it bottom bashing? What bait?

Nice catch .... :thumbsup:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, you've got it right already. To get the fins spread out isn't easy. It depends on the nature and aggressiveness of the fish to start with. For chermins, their fins are more or less naturally spread out. For other fishes, it can prove to be difficult.

On our part, the only thing we can do is to take a picture of the fish immediately when it is just out of water like you've said, preferrably under 30 secs. It depends also on the length of time the fish can tolerate out of water. As they weaken due to lack of oxygen, the fins will collapse and colour of the fish gets dull and pale.

Sometimes, you can entice the fish to momentarily spread out its fins by tapping lightly on the body. You need to to be fast with your camera and time it right.

For my fish specimens, I usually have to take several fishes before I can get a satisfactory picture. Some fish can be quite stubborn and 'uncooperative'; squirming and flipping about. It's often pointless forcing it and better to wait out on another specimen. :nod:

Special attention should be give to the fish you wish release, don't take too much time photographing it. :grin:

Giant Herrings have impressive speed which attributes to the thrill in fighting them. They may feed through surface - bottom. This one in particular, is caught on a bottom rig using live prawns.

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

oohh..this little brittlestar has got its limbs broken.
Nice pics again peace...love to see ur CRs. :thumbsup:
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Re: Catch over the weekend

Post by Tere »

Ish mei de lor ...

Hizodge
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Hizodge »

woah Peace nice catch and it seems like u've sacrfice some precious sleep ( i rembr u dun go night fishing) for those nice pictures :p well done ! :p

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Hizodge wrote:woah Peace nice catch and it seems like u've sacrfice some precious sleep ( i rembr u dun go night fishing) for those nice pictures :p well done ! :p
Haha yes, I usually find hard to stay awake during night fishing, the only thing that keeps me awake is probably the mosquitoes buzzing at my ears. :lol:

I did some freshwater fishing this week. Brought a small handline with float and single worm hook. I was hoping to catch some cichlids or gouramis but ended up with a hungry haruan. :p

stevenseow
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by stevenseow »

Nice Chermin caught inshore.
Fishing Is For Relax