Yellowtails

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Yellowtails

Post by Peace »

Hehe, that offer is only for dBs. :p But you know, the spot you went with ilurbtamban has yellowtails too! :D :shh:

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

so nice ... bring me fishing ... you know very well i m a vampire angler ! :rant: :rant: :rant:

weaver
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure Fishing,offshore fishing and prawning

Post by weaver »

erm can i ask what is the fish at the right bottom of the picture??i never seen it before

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

weaver wrote:erm can i ask what is the fish at the right bottom of the picture??i never seen it before
That's actually a lizardfish.

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf, Handline, offshore. but all kinds also good.

Post by QTfisher »

been there 4 times havent got one yet! so sad.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Post by murasame »

Any pics of what the "hae beo" look like? I want to try finding some but the aunties and uncles at the wet markets dont seem to know what it is haha
Blur sotong :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You can see the pictures here. When it's really fresh or alive, these tiny shrimps are translucent. When they are dead for some time, they turn white in colour. It's important to get the freshest ones possible so they will not drop off your hook easily when you lower them into the water.

I used to get mine from the wet market at Blk 505 Jurong West St 52. They're really fresh but you must be there early before it's sold out.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

When using just hook the whole shrimp on the hook right (on sabiki rigs for tamban?) Also do they keep firm if you freeze them?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, hook it through the entire length of the shrimp. You can use it on your tamban jig, but make sure the hooks and line can withstand the type and size of fish you're targeting. Fishes like sagais, yellowtails, and rabbitfish loves these shrimps.

The best way to use them is to buy them the morning before you go fishing. If you have to freeze them, make sure you put them in a air tight bag to reduce freeze burn.

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by murasame »

Oh I see
In that case, what type of rigs should I get if I want to target these yellowtails and sagai?
Do the shrimps degrade if you freeze them? I dont know any fishing spots nearby the jurong market area...so if I were to buy shrimps from there I think would not be convenient to go to places like bedok jetty :S

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Usually for anglers specifically targeting for these fishes, they will tie the rigs themselves. It's the same as sabiki rig but without the feathers. Because you want small hooks to catch these relatively larger fishes, you want to use self tie the rig that uses quality hooks and fc lines.

I'm not quite sure where you can get the shrimps on the east side but I'm sure there are. Scout around the wet markets in your area to start with. You can also make a trip to the west to buy them in large quantity and store them properly in the freezer. They do degrade over time but it beats not having it or the multiple trips to get them.