Newbie looking for a nice fishing spot

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

BlurKelong
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Newbie looking for a nice fishing spot

Post by BlurKelong »

Hi!
I am a newbie to fishing. Anyone have recommendation on baits to use ??? And nice fishing spot in the Punggol and Changi area.
Thanks!

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Re: Newbie looking for a nice fishing spot

Post by sgpu »

Changi kelong broad walk has nice environment.
Anything is possible. But in terms of catch rate is really random, most times are surprises.
You might want to check the ground before you visit with your gears?
The anglers there mostly have their rods secured separately to the rails. Kind of imply giants do visit.
;)
Good luck
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

BlurKelong
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by BlurKelong »

Thanks for the advice man! I will surely head down to recce the area before heading down with my gears. By the way is there any brand of rod and rail i should look into??? :)

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

For reel I have always like one with 'bait runner' feature.

You can free the spool, with little resistance still engaged, after you your sinker settles down. That resistance engages a clicker. If a fish comes pulling,your spool will sound off.

Shimano has one model, likewise for daiwa.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

For baits, you can use live prawns if you don't mind the hassle of buying and bringing it there. Dead prawns and sea worms are also pretty effective. What current tackle setup do you have? Perhaps you can use them first and see what it is lacking.

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

Post by teamilk »

sgpu wrote:Image

For reel I have always like one with 'bait runner' feature.

You can free the spool, with little resistance still engaged, after you your sinker settles down. That resistance engages a clicker. If a fish comes pulling,your spool will sound off.

Shimano has one model, likewise for daiwa.
I've seen this changi broadwalk pic so many times and I recce the changi area so many times but I never seem to be able to find this wooden walkway. seriously where the hell is this... lol
is it near changi village area or changi beach area...?

Daryl
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Prawning
bait fishing

Post by Daryl »

It can be reached by walking from changi village however it might be quite a distance or if u have a car u can get there by turning in the cranwell road or the traffic light with is located at the changi air base (west) once u see it turn right and go in and u will reach there. I personally only went there twice and realise the current there is rather strong , u can also jig for tambans there and heard that there are threadfins around the area among the surf casters there . Squid fishing can also be done there too ^.^ . However if your starting to fish i reccomend u to start with the coral fishes hanging around the stilts with u can get rather easily by using a standard apollo rig with smaller hooks with prawns as bait. I have seen rabbitfishes being pulled up from there ^,^ . Good luck fishing and tight lines!

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

Post by teamilk »

Daryl wrote:It can be reached by walking from changi village however it might be quite a distance or if u have a car u can get there by turning in the cranwell road or the traffic light with is located at the changi air base (west) once u see it turn right and go in and u will reach there. I personally only went there twice and realise the current there is rather strong , u can also jig for tambans there and heard that there are threadfins around the area among the surf casters there . Squid fishing can also be done there too ^.^ . However if your starting to fish i reccomend u to start with the coral fishes hanging around the stilts with u can get rather easily by using a standard apollo rig with smaller hooks with prawns as bait. I have seen rabbitfishes being pulled up from there ^,^ . Good luck fishing and tight lines!
Thanks Daryl! valuable information.. now I finally know where it is...googled cranwell road and finally found out where it is...
most probably will go recce the area this weekend.
thanks again!

Daryl
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Prawning
bait fishing

Post by Daryl »

No Problem man! Good Luck! and Tight Lines!