Recent catches

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ThePractice
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Crabbing, Prawning, Cast Netting

Recent catches

Post by ThePractice »

Its been forever since I posted anything here. After NParks demanded an ang pao for fishing at my not so secret, secret spot. I was forced to find a new one :(
These few months has been buying live prawn, fishing in the sun, rain or dark with nothing to show for my effort. These fishes were caught this week, yay!

500g Ang Zhor
4kg Boon Nang

Side question, how big can Russel's snapper grow? I never caught anything bigger than my hand

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Recent catches

Post by Peace »

Hi ThePractice, it's good to see your catch report again! Finding a decent fishing shore spot is tough, you've seem to have struck gold on that one. ;D Good catch on the snapper and golden trevally.

Russell's snapper don't grow very large compared to John's snapper. The common size we catch locally is around 200-300g, anything above 500g is a lucky catch.The biggest I've seen locally is slightly over a kg but they should be able to grow bigger.

ThePractice
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Crabbing, Prawning, Cast Netting

Post by ThePractice »

Hi Peace, good to know that you're always around to help with my questions! I have been fishing diligently at ECP recently and my bait keeps getting stolen by small snappers around 50-300g (Russel, Indian, Brownstripe and blackspot), which I keep releasing because they're not eating size.

I think I had some great luck that day cause I have been going home empty handed from that spot for a few months already. Before the trevally came up, I fought another fish which broke my 30lb leader, I think its a grouper cause it was in the rocks. I haven't caught a grouper more than 50g so fingers crossed! Unfortunately I'll be enlisting in two weeks so...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Groupers can be tough to land especially if you fish from breakwater and if you're not immediately at the rod to react when it strikes. We're at a disadvantage to the incline rocks but that's usually where the groupers tend to hang out.

Good luck on your start of national service. :)

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

Nice catch there ! Keep the motivation going, you'll never know what you'll land. Cheers !
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis