Tamban's fishing adventures from down under

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Tamban's fishing adventures from down under

Post by Peace »

Very nice, those are interesting pictures. Whitings at $9 on the menu caught my eye, :shocked: but it's definitely my preferred fish and chips. :lol: The bream fishing looks fun, the water looks shallow but I bet there are big breams lurking in there. The dolphin probably got in with the tide, I don't think it'll like to stay long in that polluted waters very much.

It's always a pleasure to read your catch reports, keep them coming. :beer:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

I'm back again with a CR! Mwahahaha

This time i went on a solo trip to the Patawalonga lake aka stinky lake as there's a sewage treatment plant upstream. Didn't get much hits but i managed to landed a couple of undersized bream, the legal length in South Australia is 28cm. To date i have not landed a legal bream and i wonder how's the fight going to be!

Tackle i used this trip
Rod: Daiwa TWO DUNKNMONKIES 6102ULFS, 0.5 – 4g,1 – 2kg
Reel: Shimano Soare ci4+ c2000pgss, pe 0.4 line with 6lb fc
Lures: Zman motoroil and bloodworm 2.5inch, TT jighead 1/20 size 1

As the sun started to set i made my way to the jetty as my hand were itching for squid action with my ultralight setup and using a yamashita size 1.5 jig! At the back of my head i was saying to myself, eh you siao ar! play sotong with such light line and if tio one decent size squid, how are you going to lift it up!?

At this point i was praying that i don't hit a freight train or decent sized squid. I started off with a couple of small ones which were perfect for snapper candy which i gave to one of the locals on the jetty. Getting the size 1.5 squid jig to sink to the bottom takes forever and i took this chance to speak with the locals while waiting for my jig to sink, after 10mins or so without any hits i changed my spot to this slightly deeper spot where i've pulled up several squids. Gave the jig small twitches and before i knew it i was on!! the squid pulling hard on my ultralight setup, i was thinking to myself, siao liao really tio one big one. I locked my drag and attempted to pull it up but the jig came off! Threw the jig back and the squid went back for that tiny size 1.5 jig rather aggressively and it got hooked again. This time round i was able to pull it up and thankfully my line didn't give way!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Even though breams weren't legal size yet, I bet they put up a good fight too. I look forward to see you land a legal size one, till then I'm holding on to this :champagne: for you. :p That last squid is huge, I can imagine your heart thumping when you lift it out of the water. Please don't drop, please don't drop... :mischieve:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

I'll take your word for it! can i choose what :champagne: i want? :p I was actually pretty surprised that that last squid went for the jig again as normally once a squid gets hooked and expels their ink in act of self defence, they don't go for the jig again! maybe the size played a part.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yeah I too ever encounter a squid hitting the jig again after it squirted its ink, it was either its aggressive mood or just too hungry. :D You can make a special dish with that big squid. :drool:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

I've been wanting to test this searide blueblue 6g jig for some time but couldn't do so as the tommy ruffs aren't really around at the local jetties, so i headed out to westlakes to give my searide blueblue 6g jig some workout. The primary suspects that were smashing this jig were the salmon trout that ranged from 23-26cm, however i had a couple of strong takes which was a bigger sized salmon as it managed to peel off some drag, but to my surprise it was a bream! I managed to hook a undersized king george whiting however it dropped back into the water as i was trying to remove the hook that got caught in my finger :(

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Nice catch, that bream looks pretty big. :eyebrow: How well does the searide jig work, does it really glide like it in its promo videos?