Tamban's fishing adventures from down under

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Tamban's fishing adventures from down under

Post by ilurbtambans »

I've finally decided to make a thread of my sotong adventures of Adelaide instead of having multiple posts, so stay tuned to this thread as i'll update it regularly

The wind forecast this week wasn't that fantastic with winds ranging from 20-40km/h, with winds this strong it is hard for the squid jig to sink properly and also it can be a double edged sword depending on which direction the wind is blowing, it can either hinder your casting distance or it can assist your jig in hitting further distances into the darker areas away from the jetty where the waters aren't illuminated by the jetty lights, that is also where i've had most success in hitting larger specimens or impede your distance

Recently poisoned afew friends into eging, and they have been hooked! Today managed to jio Alvin out for a sotong session at Glenelg jetty as the winds were forecasted to be 18km/h at 7pm and 13km/h at 9pm.

Reached the jetty and the weather was fantastic! Apart from winds piercing through my shirt, it wasn't too warm or cold.
Seems like there is going to be a beach volleyball competition over the weekends, might head over and snap a couple of pictures :cool:

Alamak! i forgot to take a picture of the jetty, will do so the next trip!
almost clear waters! not the clearest i've seen, but they'll make do as squids prefer clear waters. Should be a pretty good trip i guess? :x

Some of these guys have been here since 12pm and not a single squid was landed, and this old chap was insisting 'no squid will come today' and i insisted that they'll come just before sunset, was so tempted to make a bet with him :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:

We should have one of these at our jetties! set size limits to promote sustainable fishing so that the younger generations will still have a chance to fish

Someone's going for big game tonight! there were 3 runs on that setup, but he failed to hookup =/

A boat collecting water samples came real close to the jetty as it was drifting

Got to my spot and setup my gear
gear that i was using
rod: Majorcraft xride XRS-862E : 8'6 "· Egi (No.): 2.5-3.5 · PE.Line (No.): 0.4-1.2 · Action: REGULAR FAST
reel: Daiwa emeraldas INF2506W
line: Suffix versa game pe 0.8 connected to 16lb FC using fg knot
squid jigs that performed: , YAMASHITA EGI OH K Kougu 2.5 orange glow, 3.5 white glow

hooked onto a clump of weed, and amongst the weed was a baby spider crab! thankfully the barbs didn't pierce it, snapped a couple of photos before putting it back. Had to take at least 10 shots on my camera to get this good shot.. ><

Tamban scores! just before sunset, this squid decide take my Yamashita 2.5. If the old guy who said no squids will come today saw me land that squid, he'll be furious! xD Luckily he left early hahas

Here's our greenhorn Alvin! thumbs up for good luck :D

Here's the aftermath of 2 squids, didn't take a shot of the second squid but it was the exact same size as the first! And also landed on the same 2.5 jig

the concrete floor covered in squid ink! There is another jetty down south called brighton jetty, the amount of ink stains there is crazy! I'll snap some photos next time

Enjoying the sunset from the jetty! Not the best i;'ve seen but it's still a pretty sight.
One of the perks of fishing is that you'll get to see lots of pretty views of sunrise and sunsets.

On the last cast i hit this bigger squid, and it was hooked on one of the tentacles! If the squid was bigger, i'm pretty sure the tentacle would just break off

Overall it was an average trip, and i felt bad for Alvin as i've taught him all i know and he didn't manage to get one. Better luck next time Alvin, keep persevering and you'll land a big one soon.

Total score- Tamban 3 : Alvin 0
:lol: :lol:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Tamban's sotong adventures from down under

Post by Peace »

This place looks lovely, especially with the sunset with no obstruction on the horizon like we have in Singapore. Congrats on landing the 3 squids, it goes to show the old salts aren't always correct. ;) That tiny crab is cute, it must have been difficult to take without some form of stabilization.

I'm looking forward to see more of your catches from this place, hopefully Alvin will land his first squid. :D

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

Definitely! Now all i need to do is to find a sunset where there isn't too many clouds so that the whole sky would have those amazing colors! If in doubt, always fish 1-2hours before sunrise/sunset! Make sure you keep working the jig and not parking your rod at the railing. taking the picture was easy! just that my camera kept focusing on the wrong point =/ I'll make sure that Alvin lands his squids soon! :)

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

With a trip coming up in 5 hours, i finally decided to strip whatever remaining line i had on my emeraldas and spool it up with some fresh new line! With every cast there is barely any line left in the reel, and all it takes is for me to hit a snag and my casting distance will be compromised significantly.

Was using suffix versa game PE 0.8! loved the line alot, did not experience any wind knots that was reported by other people, my only complaint is that i can't find the lower PE rated lines while i was back in SG as they were sold out. :cry:
Decided to try out this eging line by varvivas, liked the pink color! hahas. You must be thinking catch sotong only why use PE 1 line, isn't that overkill? Well i'm a poor student and i don't to lose my precious jigs, and also i don't want to tie my knots out on the dimly lit jetty :S

done spooling up! nice color and i feel better knowing that there is 150m of line in there rather than the 20-30m that was in there previously

This no.2 leader came with it, I'm suspecting that this is for me to tie my fg or to use as leader? 0.o

And lastly to finish it off with an fg knot connected to 20lb FC

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Nice gadget for tying fg knot, I've seen those around in tackle shops and was tempted to buy them. Just curious, how much time did you save by using that gadget? Using slightly heavier line than needed isn't always a bad thing, it helps with snags as you say and easier to deal with when there's entanglement. Good stuff there. :thumbsup:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

i'm not too sure how much time is saved by using the knotter as i can't seem to tie a proper fg knot without it slipping :shocked: But i do know that it works as i have not had a knot that failed me so far. Another point to note is how to dislodge your jig from the snag! I used to pull it till it breaks and have lost a fair bit of jigs, only after being taught by my friend on how to 'guitar', my success rate of dislodging the snag is 90%!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

fg knot naturally slips as you apply pressure but it shouldn't slip anymore once the mono line has been fully stretched. For this reason, I always leave a short length of mono sticking out of the knot. It doesn't look nice but it helps when the line goes into extreme pressure such as during a snag. I believe the guitar method works. The vibration probably cause the the umbrella hook to open up easier.

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

After spooling up my reel with new line, packing my gear, tieing my pulley rig, it was already 2am :shocked:
Managed to get some shut eye and before you knew it, it was already 3.45am and it's time to head out to catch that golden hour which is 2 hours before sunrise, the sunrise in Adelaide is currently at 6am and it will be a minute earlier everyday, the sunset also gets later and later.

Here's Alvin and Meng

First blood drawn by Alvin, congrats on breaking the egg for the day

2nd squid of the day for me! the first squid was of similar size and i didn't manage to snap a pic as i was in a hurry of hooking it up and casting it out as bait on my heavier setup in hope for a stingray which i have been trying to target for the past 6 months but had no successes so hopefully i'll land one today! :eyebrow:

Candy sized squid! Perfect for bait and will be saved for my future trips

Sunrise!

saw these 2 fishes floating and and circling at the water surface, some kind of mating ritual i presume?

Meng with the last squid of the day! He didn't give up after seeing me and Alvin landing squids left right and center, he just kept casting and casting and his efforts paid off!

At about 7am just after Meng landed that squid, the clicker on my saltist 40 went out a little, and i could i see lots of nibbles on the rod. So i waited for awhile more as the bait was a whole fresh squid. Suddenly the line just went slack! Gave it 2 good hard jerks and i was hooked onto something! but there wasn't much of a fight and soon it surfaced. The Australians here call it a skate or banjo shark, i wonder would you classify this as a kemanjan? :lol:

After the skate surfaced, we dragged it to the shore as we didn't have a net to land it. Once we reached the shore we immediately released it as it looked rather exhausted from me and Meng dragging it from the end of the jetty back to the shore, and thankfully it was able to swim back to the sea :yay: :yay:

Total score for today! Pretty decent trip with an added surprise :D

i apologize for the lack of pictures as i'm still struggling with taking my camera out fast enough to capture the highlights of the day. By the time i unzip my pouch, unzip another pouch to take my camera out, turn on the camera, most of the action has already been missed, maybe i need a gopro! Maybe Santa will climb down the chimney and leave one under the tree for christmas this year :gift: :gift:

Tamban 2, dropped another 2 : Alvin 4 : Meng 1

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The ray you caught is a Southern Fiddler Ray, it's in the same family as the shovelnose ray we have in Singapore. Good job landing it along with the squids, that's what I call having a good time fishing. ;) I can't quite tell what's the two fish near the surface but it looks like a pair of porcupine fish mating like you suggested.

I do think you need to get an action camera to capture the most exciting part of actions. Though gopro is well built and produce quality footage, it is also well overpriced. There are many cheaper alternatives to it, especially if you don't need it to be waterproof.

Thanks for sharing your pictures once again.

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

After the previous trip i texted Gerald about what was happening down at the jetty, and he was really keen on going to catch some squids as he's been on a really long dry spell. He went down during the evening before sunset but was unable to get any and was frustrated, so i suggested that he try before sunrise since the wind forecast and the water conditions were pretty good, and so the trip was on! However Gerald said that if he didn't get anything he will retire his gear :cry: :cry:

The waters today was even clearer than yesterday! It was high tide and the water depth is about 7-8 metres, from the picture you can see my jig which all the way at the bottom! That was how clear the waters were on that day

Here's Gerald! He was the one who introduced me to eging here in australia during my first year of uni and i was shocked by the sizes and how easily you can catch them.

Tamban with the first blood of the day! Whenever the wind conditions permit, i will whip out my trust yamashita 2.5 orange glow in the dark! the squids love it! hahas

2nd

3rd

Couple of other regulars on the jetty

Been seeing this boat paddling back and forth on my previous trips, and every trip they would spend at least one hour! Preparing for some kind of competition i guess?

Going out!

Coming back!

Sunrise was approaching and Gerald hasn't landed one yet, and i was getting worried! :shocked: :shocked:
Soon after he landed one! and it was the biggest one of the day, good job Gerald!

Gerald landed another big squid after the first one! At that same time i saw that his other rod bending! It had a float with a long leader attached to a jig, i tried to set the hook but the moment i did so the squid let go :rant: :rant:

That sums up the whole trip!

Total score
Tamban 5 : Gerald 2

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The water looks crystal clear, it would be a lot of fun to scuba dive in. :D The squids are very good size this time round too, good job guys!

The row boats are probably from a club doing their routine training, it's a nice calm sea to row in for sure.

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

Recently went out for another trip! but this time i would be trying to target stingrays which have been been spotted on various occasions, and i never seem to bring my heavy gear out whenever i can see them.

The night was horribly slow with no squids being caught, the wind was abit strong, water was murky from the bad weather :rant: :rant: On the brightside i did get some decent bites on my whole squid but no solid takes.

For some reason I just had this hunch that the squid was near the jetty at this particular spot, so i swapped to my trust yamashita 2.5 jig and let it sink to the bottom, it took some time for it to sink due to the winds so i took the time to chat around with the other locals at the jetty. Once i was satisfied with the depth my jig was at, i gave it a sharp jerk and a squid was on! :yay: :yay: :yay:

after settling the first squid, i dropped my jig at the same spot and i was hooked up on another squid! i tried the same spot for a few more casts and it was a big fat zero all the way till morning :(

While catching my sotong i had another setup for stingray! I've been chasing rays for the past 6 months with no success and i've been catching many port jackson sharks, and tonight yielded no rays but more sharks

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Not a bad catch considering the wind and water conditions, I bet you fare better than most on the jetty that night. ;) That port dickson shark looks cute, but it kind of reminds me of the small bamboo sharks when I do night fishing. When I get those, it's a signal for me to go to sleep. :lol:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

Nah that night was rather crappy and i was the only person trying for something big! The Port jackson shark that i caught is considered a nuisance pest as when there's one there'll be another one or two lurking around, similar to the ah sengs(catfish) that we get in singapore :lol: :lol:

Ps. i have overdue CRs to post! Will post em up when i have the time :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Re: Tamban's fishing adventures from down under

Post by ilurbtambans »

I am back! i apologize for not posting anything for the past 2 months, been really busy with placements and didn't have time to fish. been wanting to lure for bream for quite sometime but i didn't have the correct tackles as i was more geared towards squids! Been planning with Alex to go for a bream session for quite some time but i wasn't free whenever he asked me.

The plan was to meet at the end of the Patawalonga river dam at 4pm, but i decided head down earlier to grab a bite, take my time and snap more photos and lastly to try and abuse my light gear with some squids

Deciding what to eat before i start fishing! There was mexican, some burger place, my all time favourite ice cream parlour St Louis, copengen, etc

Finally settled for fish and chips from the Bay fish shop! Didn't want to waste too much time to choose on food as i really wanted to fish hahas

Here's their menu

While waiting for my order to be processed, i saw that they have the gachapon machine! Brings back memories when i was young, i would spend a fair bit of money trying to get the figurine that i wanted, and i have no idea what happened to them, must have chucked them out lol

Here's my fish and chips! This is the whiting pack, just look at the size for the whiting fillet and compare it with my samsung tab pro in the red casing. The size is HUGE

After lunch i made my way to the jetty in hopes of hitting a decent sized squid to test out my setup which comprised of a daiwa two DrunknMonkey 6'10ft, line rating 1-2kg, casting weight 0.5-4g paired with a shimano soare ci4+ c2000pgss spooled with pe 0.4 line.

On the way there saw a couple of kids playing with the water fountain

The weather was actually pretty good, winds weren't blowing that hard, water was almost clear, temperature was on the high side tho!

Notice the two distinct colours? the lighter colour is the sand and the darker shade of green are the weed beds

Couple of jetty jumpers while i was there

After casting for about 30mins, i decided to pack up and slowly make my way to the meeting point and i saw this sign being put up lol

Saw this Ben&Jerry outdoor cinema, and it comes with ice cream with every ticket i think. Pretty good way to beat the summer heat and chill

Saw this group of peoople playing soccer in a very unique way :D

Next up are some photos of the Patawalonga river, apparently the river also serves as a marina for boats to park, and when they want to head out to the sea, they have to go past this series of locks.

managed to snap a photo of the dolphins when they surfaced, i wonder if they are the residents and dwell in here permanently or do they head back to the sea when the flood gates open

Now to the catches! i had lots of hit but i failed to hookup on many occasions, all my catches were on the zman 2inch grubs

Here's Alex catches