Angelfish Vs Batfish 2007

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Re: Angelfish Vs Batfish

Post by dBs™ »

A luring/baiting trip with some friends begin as early as 5am this morning.

Tide was upcoming ... looks promising but water has a thick layer of oil stains.
Plentiful of sea weeds upon retrieve of every cast.

I am the lucky star to land the one n only fish of this trip, a grouper again.
But this grouper bigger than the first post leh :lol:

Fish was released after some photo takings as it was rather small.
It swam off n made a u-turn and lodge itself between two rocks
It's body stick closely to the rock like a "C".
Realise the grouper opens up its 2 gill's plates to prevent itself being pull out.
Clever little fella.
Now I know why each time we hit a grouper ...always sangkot de :mad: :lol:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Great catch there Angelfishing, the grouper must be quite like the ostrich burying its head in sand when there is danger. That's a myth on ostriches but certainly true for groupers! :lol:

Here's my baiting catch with a friend yesterday at one of our favourite spot. :D The catch is better than what we've anticipated given the tide conditions. The catches are pretty poor in the morning, the current isn't moving at all and only little wrasses and leatherjackets came sending morse codes through my line. :mad: We did caught some snappers and tuskfish but it didn't come without some serious 'digging'. :sweatdrop:

Things took a turn in the afternoon when my friend reeled in a Golden Snapper. Our enthusiasm returned and we became more conscientious in our fishing. Soon after, a small grouper was landed and we end the day with a Diamond Trevally. Overall catch turned out to be good and a greater motivation for us to go back again.

TimL
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: shore/coastal fishing, handline fishing

Post by TimL »

Peace wrote:Great catch there Angelfishing, the grouper must be quite like the ostrich burying its head in sand when there is danger. That's a myth on ostriches but certainly true for groupers! :lol:

Here's my baiting catch with a friend yesterday at one of our favourite spot. :D The catch is better than what we've anticipated given the tide conditions. The catches are pretty poor in the morning, the current isn't moving at all and only little wrasses and leatherjackets came sending morse codes through my line. :mad: We did caught some snappers and tuskfish but it didn't come without some serious 'digging'. :sweatdrop:

Things took a turn in the afternoon when my friend reeled in a Golden Snapper. Our enthusiasm returned and we became more conscientious in our fishing. Soon after, a small grouper was landed and we end the day with a Diamond Trevally. Overall catch turned out to be good and a greater motivation for us to go back again.
Nice catch! whereabouts did you go? (don't mind me asking)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

TimL wrote:Nice catch! whereabouts did you go? (don't mind me asking)
I can't disclose the exact locations but if you fish locally long enough, you'll find that you may commonly catch Spanish Flag Snappers from southwestern to eastern waters. The species of fishes caught suggests that I am fishing near rocky/coral areas. ;)

What about you, are you still fishing and what's your fishing experience before you were off to Canada? :)

TimL
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by TimL »

Peace wrote:
TimL wrote:Nice catch! whereabouts did you go? (don't mind me asking)
I can't disclose the exact locations but if you fish locally long enough, you'll find that you may commonly catch Spanish Flag Snappers from southwestern to eastern waters. The species of fishes caught suggests that I am fishing near rocky/coral areas. ;)

What about you, are you still fishing and what's your fishing experience before you were off to Canada? :)
I've been living in Canada (Vancouver) for a number of years now and was properly introduced to sportfishing there. I just got back from a 1 month vacation in Singapore and I brought my fishing rod along. Did some shore fishing along the beach at Pasir Ris Park (near where I was staying) and Bedok Jetty, and a day trip at my great aunt's kelong near Lim Chu Kang & Sungei Buloh (she grows NZ mussels for sale to seafood restaurants). Didn't have the chance to visit the reefs...I was initially planning to head up to Pulau Redang for some snorkelling but it didn't work out. I remembered doing some handlining at Pulau Tioman many years ago when I was small...of course I don't recall the details. I have a number of pics from the kelong and Pasir Ris..I'll post them later if you like.

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

TimL wrote:I have a number of pics from the kelong and Pasir Ris..I'll post them later if you like.

Sure we do .... post them quick ! :nod: :D

TimL
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by TimL »

Pasir Ris: Not very productive...lots of small fish stealing bait. Perhaps I've been going at the wrong tide as I've been seeing people catching plenty with cast nets. However, a guy fishing nearby at one of the breakwaters caught a huge sicklefish (40+ cm):
Lots of these pesky striped eeltail catfish (Plotosus lineatus)
Juvenile javelin grunt
Also caught a bearded croaker but didn't take a picture.
some of the other fish I've seen there: croakers, shads, flathead, estuarine grouper, halfbeaks, mullets, a small brown ray, grey eel catfish, whiting, goatfish, ponyfish
Kelong Very productive site probably due to the abundance of food and hiding places. Here's what our group caught:
Catch of assorted fishes:
longhead grunt (I initially thought it was a javelin grunt):
juvenile saddle grunt:
javelin grunt:
bearded croaker:
large eeltail catfish:
Also caught a few eels (estuarine morays), glassfish, anchovies, tamban. There were plenty of mullet swimming at the surface and a huge school of baitfish (anchovies or mackerel I think) came and circled the kelong a few times before moving off elsewhere. Also had a couple of very strong tugs but when reeled up either bait or hook was gone-heard that large groupers and sea bass have been caught off here so who knows what lurks beneath?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I've never fished at Pasir Ris before, but I must say that's a pretty good catch there. Notice how the speckles on the big sicklefish appears in rows while the smaller one appears to have it at random positions, or rather the rows are somewhat curved. :cool:

It seems that fish like grunters favour more at northern - eastern waters compared to the south, perhaps it's due to the many estuaries and brackish condition found there. Also as you've mentioned, fishes find abundance of food and cover at Kelongs.

The school of bait fish you saw is probably a type of herring(sampan kua) that is commonly found throughout the straits, from Lim Chu Kang to Pasir Ris. They may come in several schools at a time and swims close to the surface. Their presence is a magnet for larger predatory fishes such as barracudas. ;) If you're fishing from a Kelong or from rocky areas, it's often likely to have groupers lurking around, big ones too. :drool:

Thanks for sharing your catches, I may head over to Pasir Ris to give it a try one of these days. :nod:

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Nice varieties of fishes considering they are from Pasir Ris.

I used to fish at Pasir Ris, an inlet "canal" call sungei api api and the surrounding beaches.

During very low tides ... I like to go down to the beaches and flip stones.
You get to see cray fish and interesting find like star fish are common there.

If u can do net casting ... that's a great place to do it.
You get abundance of free baits simply cast your net along the beaches, nice yummy prawns.

Peace ... best of luck should you intend to fish there :mischieve: :clover:

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Went fishing with Simon n Ian last Saturday.

Bought 1kg of "big" prawns from the wet market n off we go to fishing spot no. 1

Simon was the lucky one landed 3 helicopters :lol:
We decided to try our luck with the remaining baits at spot no. 2

Lucky star strike Simon again with a big Ah Seng! :lol: :lol:
Though a pesky fish to us ...it did gave us some fun n laughter.
Fish released after pictures.

Enjoy this trip with Ian.
Guess we'll be fishing together more often.
Too bad limejuice cun join us ... but guess we make a trip together very soon. ;)

A short fishing trip this morning in the rain.
1 strike 2 hookups ... full house ! :lol:
Fish donated to an uncle fishing next to us as we have to go off to work :grin:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Hey that's not bad at all, the Ah Seng would have made a very pretty specimen picture for me. :( The Kim Kors look pretty big as well, got meat! :drool: I went fishing during the weekend with a friend too, but I caught nothing. :cry: My friend however caught a big Queenfish on his surf though. :)

The Queenfish surfacing

Landed! :champagne:

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Guess most knew there was an earthquakes yesterday evening.
I remember the previous few times when the quakes strike in our neighbouring country,
I happen to be fishing n bite rate was zero.

I took this chance n went fishing again just to find out if it true dat when there is a quakes ..fishy goes into hiding.

This what I caught and nothing else. not even a meow in sight :lol:

An interesting beedeo to share ... bait stealer they are but they kept me entertain for a while. :lol:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You know why only that fish comes out during earthquakes? Because 'helicopters' aren't affected by earthquakes! :lol: Very well taken video of catching the those hornets red-handed stealing prawn meat. I always hated them for it because after I get my hands dirty cutting up the pieces of prawn meat they come snatch it away from me while I am not looking. :mad: Now don't get me started on those crows and mynahs too! :rant:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Went fishing with a friend over the weekend; didn't get any fish but we caught two fat tasty squids instead. Both squids were caught on squid jigs, my friend caught the bigger one.

The first squid

The bigger one

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

WOW! nice yummy squid :drool:

It's a long time since I last went squidding.
I have yet to land any squid in bright day light. :p

Went for an early morning fishing trip with some friends last last weekend.
Didn't managed to get any biggie but Simon n Ian each caught a flower crab.
A nice pair of flower crab ! :yay: