Catch reports from a new spot

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Catch reports from a new spot

Post by gohyuheng »

So I've been snooping around lately doing some recces and chanced upon a promising looking place! :shh: hint hint It's near the south.

Armed myself with some live prawns, dead prawns and headed down for an overnight trip with no idea what to expect.

Waters were very deep! Hooked a live prawn and cast for, but the currents kept sweeping my rig nearer to shore :mad:

Meanwhile, took out my light action rod and hooked up cut prawn. The moment it went down, I immediately pulled up 3 small snappers and emperors!! Immediately knew this was going to be a good spot :nod:

They were mostly relatively small and thrown back to sea, but a few unlucky ones eventually ended up as live bait ( hoping to hook up some monster groupers / sea bass :p )

Eventually got tired and casted further and attached a bell. No shade there meant it was incredibly hot :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:

About an hour later, light rod's bell went off! Quick fight and i landed my first ray :D

This gave me the motivation to try some jigging with tamban hooks, and surely enough, it was seklah after seklah landed. All of them were pretty small though, and ended up as more live bait supply :x

Saw a hugeeeeee todak take my live seklah on a float later that day, but the hook just slid out of his mouth. The todak was easily over a metre like hugeeee. Such a shame :(

When night came, i landed this croaker.

Didn't take much photos through out the night, but i landed 2 more rays and 3 flower crabs :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
Here's a photo of them

When morning came, i began jigging for the seklahs again, but to my surprise, landed this two beautiful fishes!
Released after photo session

All in all really great place, definitely going to visit again! Though still no hits on my large rods :mad:
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Catch reports from a new spot

Post by Peace »

This looks like a good spot indeed, deep water usually means some big boats around ya. :eyebrow: The availability of bait fish there is a very big plus, it'll give your surf rod a good chance to land something nice. You can try using grip sinker if the place isn't too snaggy, sometimes it's not just the current but also the wind and wave pushing your rig back.

That's a pretty good variety of catch, I have a feeling it'll get even better on your upcoming trips back. :grin:

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Re: Catch reports from a new spot

Post by murasame »

Nice catches, bring me next time if you can :D
We both live in west area and still schooling right haha
Blur sotong :nod: