barracuda

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

barracuda

Post by BeachBum »

I've been fishing recently. The water quality looks ok, Water was very clear on sunday, but caught nothing. The sun is crazy, should wear long sleeve, got sunburn on the arms and legs. Temperature these few days is hitting 34degC. Yesterday went again but in the evening 5pm. A barracuda caught on Halco roosta. I have this lure for a long time, seldom catch anything, it worked yesterday. This is the 80mm one which is 20g. This popper cast well and makes loud pops. Some lurers use it. Recently saw smaller size ones at changi, but I didn't get it. Maybe another day. I've another one 105mm I think, that one also always catch nothing. Use it Kranji some years back, fish follow but never bite. and need a heavier rod and reel. Yesterday's evening tide is rising tide. So is today I think.
I've been trying out DIY blades recently. caught a grouper, miss one small KBL, which makes me fish at this spot more often. The rigs are lost too easily as the bottom may have some rocks. The blades made from can lids rust quite fast. This is heavier and thicker, brass colour. The aluminium ones are lighter and sometimes don't spin well, but potentially can attract fish. Need to figure out how to tie the rig. I'm using with a white fly and sometimes octopus skirt.
Last edited by BeachBum on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: barracuda

Post by Peace »

Awesome catch, I've never caught anything on popper in saltwater before. The hit must have been very dramatic. :D Interesting rig with the blade, but does the line leading to your fly hinder the spinning of the blade?

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

I saw a fish jumped up behind the lure. One turn of the reel and felt some resistance. Then I strike! and the fish was up in 30 secs. Take photo and put back.
Yes, the blade doesn't spin well. This version tends to flutter only. I've made some modifications with swivels added. The hook can entangle with the rig sometimes.
This is the other versions. The one with the octopus skirt can spin. The other one with two blade, one blade cannot spin. Not proven yet, as haven't catch anything with it.
I went to some hardware shops looking for a tool that can punch through thin metal sheets. Such tool exist but cost $55. quite expensive, so I didn't buy. Can drill, but it creates metal dust which is very sharp. I use the paper puncher, it create a hole that is too big. Wonder if anyone knows a tool that can punch holes 2mm-3mm diameter and not too expensive ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

The new version certainly looks better. Since you're using two blades, maybe you can shape one leaf for reflection and the other for vibration. As for a cheaper alternative to punch a hole, do you think a dot or centre punch works? Or even just use a nail and mallet it through? You might need to do some work on its edges after that.