Short CR

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Short CR

Post by gohyuheng »

Managed to squeeze some time in the morning for fishing a few days ago hehe.
Reached spot around 6 am, incoming tide. Immediately whipped out sabiki and jigged up some tambans for live bait. On my very first cast, landed a 6 inch talang queenfish, 5 inch bumpnose trevally AND a juvenile Spanish mackerel! Wow good vibes :D

Another rod cast with prawn meat on size 1 hooks... So total 3 rods.

Bait fish were plenty, managed to hook up easily over 40 tambans 40 kuning :p This was the total baitfish brought back for storage

Prawn rod suddenly took a huge bend, rod fell onto the floor. Fish on! Fight half way, it suddenly dash and... Sangkot. Couldn't get it out after that...

Around 10+ am baitfish were starting to quieten down. Decided to hook small prawn meat onto tamban hooks try my luck.
Haven't even reach the bottem, fish on! Landed my very first sweet potato hehe. Cast again, another immediate hook up! This one felt heavier, and with one quick dash... Hook straightened. Afterwards they didn't seem to bite anymore haiz. Landed one butterfly whiptail bream that took my hook too deep... alamak die for no reason.

Around 12, started to pack up, when tamban hooks with prawn produced another hookup! Good fight on ultra light hehe. Landed my very first golden trevally.

Live bait produced nothing at all which seemed quite unreasonable... No bites or anything. Used LSBF and hooked fish sideways through nostril. Is there a better method to be used?
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Re: Short CR

Post by murasame »

Woah awesome cr
For LSBF you can hook the fish just under the dorsal fin to "cover" more of the fish
Blur sotong :nod:

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

murasame wrote:Woah awesome cr
For LSBF you can hook the fish just under the dorsal fin to "cover" more of the fish
I find that the fish dies much quicker / tend to fly off when casting when hooking the body though!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

A spot with access to catching bait fish is always a good one! I'm suprised you didn't get a bite on your lsbf. I would hook on the nose when there's considerable current so it can breathe properly facing the current. I'd hook the dorsal method when there's slack current so the fish can swim around easier.

Good catch as always. :D

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

i reckon the fish that straighened your hooks could be be a rabbit fish! they are notorious for straightening hooks on the cheapo 1 dollar tamban rigs, best if you use quality hooks and leader. It also seems that you have productive spot there! put in the hour and eventually you'll land something decent :D

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Made a second trip to the same place... Huge hit and rod nearly flew in. I strike and the fish snapped my rod into 3 :( managed to unhook itself after that... Haiz

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You may have high sticked a little too much when you strike or the rod may already been damaged. That lucky fish lives to tell its tale. :mischieve:

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Once again thought it was a grouper... Yet another starry toadfish :cry:
It even looks like the one I caught a few months back!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It certainly does look like a grouper, especially in water. These guys are fearless, I had release them before and they would come back and take your line again.