Sweetlips

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Sweetlips

Post by gohyuheng »

Reached the spot at 7am, tide was lowest at 6.30am. Hooked a frozen prawn and cast.

Around 7.20, saw my rod twitch a little.. was thinking "alamak small fish". But the twitching wasn't stopping so I gave it a strike... WOW something big was pulling :shocked:

Halfway through fighting the fish it managed to stick itself into rocks or something, couldn't pull it out. Slackened the line for awhile and out it came. At this point I was shouting for my dad to prepare the gaff :lol: too excited.

Fish surfaced and it was a kaci!
Hooked it up and here it is.

Hit 1.2kg on the scale :D
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

murasame
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Extra Ultralight

Re: Sweetlips

Post by murasame »

Bigger than my offshore kaci! Great catch :)
Blur sotong :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

That's a big sweetlips for sure, nice work landing it. :thumbsup: Looks like your homemade gaff gets to be used, was it easy to gaff the fish with it?

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

murasame wrote:Bigger than my offshore kaci! Great catch :)
Peace wrote:That's a big sweetlips for sure, nice work landing it. :thumbsup: Looks like your homemade gaff gets to be used, was it easy to gaff the fish with it?
It took quite a few tries to hook, but that might be because we forgot to attach a weight to the gaff in our excitement :p

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, the weight will help in steering the gaff hook better. Glad you managed to gaff it up, if you're not careful with it, you might entangle the rope with your fishing line and can end up losing the fish. :sweatdrop:

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Almost had a second chance to use it today :(
Had a big pull but it firmly embedded itself into the rocks. Might have been a grouper or a tuskfish? I slackened the line and let it be for awhile, and it eventually came out, but when I pulled it was gone :cry:

Landed two little buggers though, I shall call them the greedy duo. Both landed with live prawns sticking out of their mouths, both landed at the same time, one by me and one by my dad. :lol:

A small orange spotted grouper and a small chocolate hind!
I actually wanted to release the orange spotted but the hook went deep :confused:

Landed my very first todak too, it actually made me quite disappointed because I was targeting the big kbl I saw swimming around, estimated around 2-3 kilos. When i saw my handline flying around I was so excited... In the end it was just a todak :(

Also met with an army of selar :p

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Often, very fast reaction time is needed when fishing at rocky areas. You literally need to have the rod on your hand to yank it away from its hiding spot. It's not too practical though especially when using heavy surf tackles. At least the todak is a good consolation prize; you lose some you win some. :nod:

It's a very decent catch overall, a good hit on the selar papan school. I am expecting that Kbl to be on your next catch report. ;)