2017 NEW YEAR CR

Shore based catches including beaches, breakwaters, jetties and fishing from offshore islands.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

2017 NEW YEAR CR

Post by gohyuheng »

Reached our spot at around 8 am, trip started out super slow with no tambans and kunings at all, only a few small selars that ended up as bait @.@ No action on surf whether live prawns or selar was used, and the weather was super bad. Started out super hot and started raining heavily in the afternoon.

Around 4pm my dad was saying to leave before the rain came back again, luckily we didn't :P

Around 4.15, one of the surf rod bent sharply! Ran to grab it and immediately knew it was a biggie :D Thought it was another chermin but this fella came to surprise me instead!

My first threadfin on live prawns :)
While I was still taking photos with my threadfin, other surf rod bell went off :shocked:
Ran for it again and up came up an Ang Cho on live prawn too!

Rain picked up from there and we decided to escape with our new year goodies :lol:

1.7 kg threadfin and 700g angcho

Just in time for new year dinner!

Any suggestions on how to cook threadfin? :)
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: 2017 NEW YEAR CR

Post by Peace »

That's one quality catch to start off the new year, well done. You can do a fish head steam boat on that threadfin or fish head bee hoon, both are pretty good. Keep going back to that spot, there may be more threadfins coming in. ;)

Happy new year to you and your family! :champagne:

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Just gonna update this post with another CR! Last one before I enlist :(

Headed to the same spot once again, for an overnight trip. I had around 10 live sand whiting I brought from west coast as bait but caught nothing with them :confused:

At 6 am in the morning I managed to get 1 selar on a tamban jig and threw it out on a handline + float. Around 20 minutes later, my handline went flying :D Quickly scrambled for it and managed to yank this guy up!! Surprisingly not that strong of a fight as it obediently swam along as I pulled it in.

1.5 kg on the dot

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That's a pretty big todak, it came to throw you a party before you enlist. :p I suppose you're heading for tekong? At least you can still get a good view of the sea everyday, even if you're not fishing. Good luck on your enlistment soldier, hang in there and you'll be back fishing before you know it. :cool:

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

Finally book out day :D

Cooked the garfish today! It came with strings of fish roe!

Both were fried and tasted delicious :thumbsup:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

:rose: That's a lot of eggs, I've tried fried todak before and it's pretty decent with some soya sauce. Nice catch there.